For Beginners: Read this.

Started by R.G., April 21, 2004, 12:50:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R.G.

"There Are No Electrons" by Kenn Amdahl.

Basic electronics theory in a palatable, easy to understand form.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Tim Escobedo

I think I remember Paul Perry recommending that book. I'll have to check it out.

Kleber AG

Any more info? $$$?  :lol:
Or some place I could read a brief description, subjects etc...

Thanks for the sugestion RG!
Kleber AG

smoguzbenjamin

What's an electron? :mrgreen:
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

Brian Marshall

ian87

Quote from: Brian Marshallthere is no spoon

jrc4558

Now in the spirit of Z. Freud

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar...
:)
Happy build to all.

Peter Snowberg

Ce n'est également pas une pipe.
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

Ge_Whiz

I'm sorry, this is not a thread.

brett

QuoteThis is not a thread
But surely it could be in a parallel universe.
Or maybe your brain is in a tank on an alien spaceship and fed drugs so that you *think* this is not a thread.
Solopsism rules! :wink:
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

Nasse

"There Are No Electrons"

Reminds me from my old chemistry teacher, we had limited amount of time and he said when we started the course

"Let´s forget the orbitals"
  • SUPPORTER

petemoore

Ya Can't tell [well at least not yet we can't and god fobid that we'd ever be able ot] which way they're gonna go anyway, so what's the use in thoerizing about it?
 I'ts pretty much a given that you can cause electron activity to increase or decrease using tried true methods...what should be good enough considering the electrons there are reports of quarks at subatomic levels.
 I'm pretty certain I just typed myself in over my head.
 Start messin' with that stuff too much and the earth might end up the size of a beach ball...
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Paul Marossy

"What's an electron?"

Why, that's where you plug things into the wall, of course.  :wink:

freebird1127

Quote from: Paul Marossy"What's an electron?"

Wait.... wasn't GW Bush an elect-ron?
Evan Haklar
What's the difference between incompetence and indifference?  I don't know and I don't care!

Samuel

Quote from: ian87
Quote from: Brian Marshallthere is no spoon

Awesome.

csj

Reading about the "Greenie" model finally made me pay attention...that and the fact that my edition had a pretty hot babe on the cover.

The Tone God

Quote from: freebird1127Wait.... wasn't GW Bush an elect-ron?

No, GW Bush is a moron but Bush was never elected in the first place.

Its fun being Canadian. :)

To add to the topic anything by Forrest M. Mims 3rd is good for beginners especially kids.

Andrew

BillyJ

brett

QuoteYa Can't tell [well at least not yet we can't and god fobid that we'd ever be able ot] which way they're gonna go anyway, so what's the use in thoerizing about it?
I don't fool with tubes (tho my amp has 'em), but I suspect that to know how tubes work, it must help to consider electrons.  You just can't get "holes" to flow backwards through a tube (as far as I know).  

For the intermediate level learner (like myself), I feel that there's value in learning some jargon, and trying to understand the expert's version of events.  I've only recently figured out how transistors (and especially "piggybacked" transistors) *really* worked, and that was by thinking at the electron and hole level.  By "really" I mean finding out things like "What causes base current?",  "why is there a relationship between hFE and collector current?", and "why isn't hFE 10,000?".

cheers
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)