transistor types in various wahs

Started by powerplayj, April 23, 2004, 03:30:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

powerplayj

Anyone know what type of transistors are in Teese and Vox wahs?
builds completed: boutique fuzz, rangemaster, BSIAB2, PT-80, Tonepad wah, Ross Comp, Axis Fuzz, MOSFET boost, Thunderchief, Big Muff (triangle), Mr. EQ, Dr. Boogey,  Neovibe, Dist+, EA Tremelo, ADA Flanger, RM Octavia
next build(s): ???

al3151

The Vox V847 has A-18 transistors.

phillip

Yeah the Dunlop Crybaby and Vox V847 wahs use the MPSA18, which are high gain general purpose transistors...I think they're too high gain to make a good wah circuit.

I like to use either BC109B or BC109C transistors in wah pedals...they're much better sounding.  The BC109C can sometimes be a little too gainy for the sound that I like, but with enough testing I can usually find a couple that fit the gain range that produces my favorite wah tones :)  The inductor has a LOT to do with the overall tone of the wah pedal also.

Phillip

petemoore

Low Noise/High Gain transistors.
 The Mpsa18 and 5089's are good examples.
 However 'they've' been pulling the Mpsa'a and installing High Gain BCxxx [I think 109's?], and reporting good results with them.
 I like the sound of BCxxx's anyway in different Boost or Buff or Distortions.
 I ordered some different kinds from Small Bear, and just pop them in the DMM's Hfe meter to find the higher gain ones for circuits that call for it, or just plug 'em right in, the sockets.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

powerplayj

Thanks, I do plan on changing the inductor to either the Fulltone or one of the Dunlop red/yellow ones.  Someone also suggested the BC transistors in another forum so, I may have to give those a shot.  I just want to maximize my Dunlop GCB the best I can.  Later on down the line I'll check out the wahs from G. Teese.
builds completed: boutique fuzz, rangemaster, BSIAB2, PT-80, Tonepad wah, Ross Comp, Axis Fuzz, MOSFET boost, Thunderchief, Big Muff (triangle), Mr. EQ, Dr. Boogey,  Neovibe, Dist+, EA Tremelo, ADA Flanger, RM Octavia

powerplayj

Actually, Geoffrey Teese himself just answered my question on another forum (pretty cool).  His transistors are proprietary just as I suspected.  I'll check out the BC109's!

Fret Wire

Antique Electronics is a cheap source for Dunlop Fasel Inductors and Fulltone wah pots, just type "wah" in the search field and enter:

http://www.tubesandmore.com/
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

modmod

Quote from: Fret WireAntique Electronics is a cheap source for Dunlop Fasel Inductors and Fulltone wah pots, just type "wah" in the search field and enter:

http://www.tubesandmore.com/

great price,are they able to ship oversea ? seems like only for US  :(

gtrmac

I get orders from AES shipped to Japan via USPS Air Mail for a reasonable rate.

powerplayj

Smallbearelec.com has the Fulltone inductor and the BC109 transistors