Anybody got a REALLY tough clear coat for boxes

Started by brett, April 27, 2004, 09:49:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brett

I made another pretty pedal. :D  (But I wish my photography was better.)  
Anyway, it's made with a diecast box, powdercoated, laser decal and auto clear coat.  Only problem is that the top coat and decal are a bit fragile.  If I dig with my fingernail, I can scrape the decal and topcoat off. :cry:

So, does anybody know of a clear coat that is super tough and will protect that decal?  Oh yeah, polyurethane melts the decals (I think?).

Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

phillip

Clear glossy lacquer is what I use...haven't had any problems with it coming off easily either and the laser decals are pretty well sealed under it.

Phillip

brett

Spray or paint?  Any brand name or product details so that I get the right thing?

thanks
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

R.G.

Emron - catalyzed polyurethane spray paint.

Toxic to spray, demanding, need special equipment, but hard as nails.

Make a buddy in the car or boat refinishing business.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Fret Wire

Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

brett

Looking up lacquer on the web, it seems that most references are to clear acrylic auto paints (which is what I've been using).  Maybe I need to lightly heat the box and decal to minimise any residual moisture in the decal or it's glue.  I *think* that I'm getting separation between the decal and the box, not between the gloss coat and the decal.  

The other option is maybe to put it on thicker (ie more coats).  At present, it's a fairly thin coat made up of 3 "mist" coats (ie totalling much less than 1/32"think).

cheers
Brett Robinson

brett

Wow! you guys are fast.  Thanks heaps!!  Both the Emron and Epoxy sound great.
Brett Robinson

thumposaurus

I've used clear powdercoat over top of waterslide decals, you just have to make sure the decal can survive in the oven while the powder cures.
Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

dosmun

I used a Polyurethane ( Ace Hardware brand) over both Decals and T-shirt Transfers and it worked great with NO problems.

mikeb

Brett, do post here if you find something that works. I've been using clear gloss paint for years, and while it *does* provide protection the 'gloss' part means fingerprints show up like no-body's business. :(

Mike

troubledtom

Quote from: mikebBrett, do post here if you find something that works. I've been using clear gloss paint for years, and while it *does* provide protection the 'gloss' part means fingerprints show up like no-body's business. :(

Mike
well mike,
if you'd stop touching the box and just plug it in to use. you wouldn't have that problem :P
      peace my brother,
               - tom

Sonny ReVerb

Hi All,

I'm pretty sure the brand is 'Imron'; made by Dupont. They use it on some airplanes as well, so it must be tough!

Sonny