SOT: 2.4ghz oscillator needed

Started by nirvanas silence, April 29, 2004, 09:12:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nirvanas silence

Where can I get a 2.4ghz oscillator without ripping apart a new phone?  I can't seem to find them online.  I'm gonna play a prank on my buddy by jamming his wireless internet.

niftydog

http://www.maxim-ic.com/quick_view2.cfm/qv_pk/2464

Amazing what google turns up ain't it?!  :?  Free sample time!

I would think you'd stuggle to do this DIY any other way.
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)

nirvanas silence

WHat did you google?  Nothing turned up for me!!!!  ANd i checked mouser, digikey, etc.

niftydog

niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)

Peter Snowberg

That oscillator has a very low output power. It's kind of like jamming a 50W amp by whispering.

Messing with microwave frequency radiation is very different from dealing with DC or audio frequency. It's a very different world. I can't even go near touching it for lack of knowledge.

If you want to jam his 802.11 setup, you'll need a transmitter with decent output power and then you'll need an antenna with high gain. Remember that this is the same energy that cooks food in a microwave oven. This is really touchy stuff and you can't just DIY it.

You might be able to rig up a relay as buzzer to jam it, but if that doesn't work you're going to need real equipment.

For an 802.11 transmitter, consider a Linksys WET11 which has a transmit power of 137mW which is much more than most 802.11 products. Combine that with a pad style antenna (at least 8dBi) which is directional and then add a laptop to generate lots of packets using some method like a "ping of death". $1000 later.... :?

It's amazing how robust 802.11 stuff can be. I just put in a remote webcam today that goes through six 802.11 links before hitting a fiber connection to the net.

Take care,
-Peter
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

The Tone God

To put out the wattage to dissrupt your buddies cell phone you would end up cooking anything around it including yourself if you are holding it. To play with something with that high a wattage would require a licence. Even if you had a licence that band is resistict and you can not go beyond a certain wattage in that band as specified by the FCC or DOC.

It should also be pointed out that it is illegal to intentialy or unintentialy interfer with communications which is a charge that carries fines and prison time.

This stuff should not be played with by DIYers and shouldn't be used as prank device.

Why don't you try an EMP instead ? :twisted:

Andrew

Transmogrifox

you can get into some serious trouble if you get caught playing with these frequencies.  Another problem you face is that it doesn't necessarily operate at 2.40000000000000000....GHz.  Also, the data is modulated in such a way that is quite resistant to interference, so your "jamming" is probably not likley to do anything unless you code it.  You would be better off with pre-made hardware and go to work programming to get a signal to come out of your own computer that will jam anybody else's computer in a near proximity.  Think of how many people use this service. Do you think it would be that easy to jam a system that is designed to be quite immune to this?

Sorry to put a wet blanket on it all, but if you're pranking your buddy, you will probably be more effective tweaking with his hardware than trying to mess with wireless land.
trans·mog·ri·fy
tr.v. trans·mog·ri·fied, trans·mog·ri·fy·ing, trans·mog·ri·fies To change into a different shape or form, especially one that is fantastic or bizarre.