Boss DD-5 treble cut mod?

Started by kashmir, May 01, 2004, 03:46:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kashmir

Hello,

I'm new to this board. I've tried to find instructions on how to do a treble cut mod for my DD-5. Here's the only reference I've found so far:

http://diystompboxes.com/sboxforum/viewtopic.php?t=20553&highlight=boss+dd5+mod

Any help appreciated!

petemoore

Small cap.
 Try them in the OA's feedback loop where the diodes connect, check out AMZ Labs Notebook for diode/Resistor/cap mod information.
 placed in with the diodes, this cap will 'roll the clipping edges over' reducing more high end hash as you try larger values [.0047uf is where I start hearing a difference/.0022uf?]
 A small cap placed anywhere from the signal path to ground rolls off high end. At input tends also to help reduce RF introduction to the signal path, but at the end of the circuit is a common placement for a rolloff capacitor. Placed before or after the bypass, rolloff will occur whenever the signal is chained through that box whether the effect is on or bypassed. Somewhere between the input and output caps is recommended to prevent this.
 I like to experiment with small and smallish caps [.01uf gets rid of too much high end content for my uses generally] in different places in the circuit signal path and feedback loop.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

petemoore

You can mod the existing caps and resistor values in the tone section also.
 If the cap is going to ground, from signal path, larger values cut more treble...if it is seriesed in the signal path, larger values let more bass through.
 Larger cap  values let more bass [lower frequencies pass] through.
 ..in the signal path
 OR opposite ...From the signal path to ground, 'getting rid' of bass, hence letting more treble pass as more bass is shunted [gotten rid of] to ground..
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

kashmir

Quote from: petemoore
 A small cap placed anywhere from the signal path to ground rolls off high end.

The result is same than putting an EQ pedal after the DD-5, isnt it? That is to say that the low pass filter (that the cap generates) reacts with the original signal also... Putting a cap from signal path to ground could be safest bet for me but does it make the delayed signal less 'pingy'?

Placing a cap in op amp's feedback loop filters only the delayed signal, I suppose? I couldn't find any info on AMZ Labs notebook - Advise welcome.

I'm not familiar with DD-5's schematic so the tone section tweaking is out of choice.

Bluesrock

I have a boss RV-3.
I placed a 47nF AFTER the output to ground to get rid of the noise this pedal produces.
Best Regards,
Koen

donald stringer

I am looking for that mod also. If you find it please keep posting about it. I am interested in just what you can do to this pedal.
troublerat

12StringStratMaker

bluesrock,
where exactly is just after the output to ground?  I'm not very good at finding things in a pedal other than by using the circuit board numbers.  I've got an RV-3 that bugs the hell out of me.

Ansil

Quote from: 12StringStratMakerbluesrock,
where exactly is just after the output to ground?  I'm not very good at finding things in a pedal other than by using the circuit board numbers.  I've got an RV-3 that bugs the hell out of me.
did you get the mod i sent you man. i had my computer crashed after i got the mod uploaded..

Maneco

1 uf cap placed at the outer lugs of the level pot

kashmir

Quote from: Maneco1 uf cap placed at the outer lugs of the level pot

I thank you for your advice. I experimented with 1uF and I'm really pleased with the result. I put a SPST switch also so that I can use the 'stock' DD-5 when neccessary. The result is subtle but really nice indeed. There are actually 6 lugs in two rows so your tip required some brainwork also ;)

TheBigMan

You can also apply this to the feedback pot in a Boss DD-2/3/5 which gives a more reverb like sound.  The first repeat is not affected but each subsequent repeat becomes less crisp.