ADA Flanger Clone!?

Started by Paul Marossy, May 04, 2004, 10:34:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Marossy

Has anyone here ever built an ADA Flanger clone? Or even seen a schematic for one? I still would like to build this one (if possible), but I have not been able to round up anything on it...

Rodgre

I have an original, and I've been afraid to even open it up for fear that the magic would escape out of the box.

I'm not sure if Steve at Small Bear sells "pedal magic" but I think that's one of the main components of this pedal.

Roger

mattv

Check over at the Ampage forum. Mr. Stephen Giles posted a link to the schem (thanks Stephen). Certainly not a project for the faint of heart..

Paul Marossy

Over at Ampgae, huh? I'll check it out. I'm sure it's not easy, but they are really one of the best sounding flangers out there, IMO. It's got to be worth a try...

jplaudio

Quote from: Paul MarossyHas anyone here ever built an ADA Flanger clone? Or even seen a schematic for one? I still would like to build this one (if possible), but I have not been able to round up anything on it...

Yes at least one member here has built a clone. I posted a link in Schematics2 to the package with schematics,parts lists and PCB layout. The real problem is finding a BBD used in the version 3  to be able to construct it. Revisions 1 and 2 may use the easier to find SAD1024 BBD. Or you can modify the REv 3 version to use a SAD 1024.

Paul Marossy

Oh, that's cool! I looked over at Ampage, and didn't find anything.  :(
I'll check out your link.

D Wagner

Quote from: Paul MarossyHas anyone here ever built an ADA Flanger clone? Or even seen a schematic for one? I still would like to build this one (if possible), but I have not been able to round up anything on it...

Bill Bergman built one.  He has a schematic, PCB and layout.  He sent out copies of version 3 and 4, but I am not sure which one he built.

Derek

Hairston

QuoteBill Bergman built one...
I heard about that! Bergman is turning into another underground electronics hero. Did you see those pics of his Stormtide Flanger? SICK! :shock:

-HB

ExpAnonColin

I have a schem of the flanger that I purchased from http://adadepot.com .  They have that schem along with a few others of interest for $2.

-Colin

Mark Hammer

A local buddy, Mike Irwin built and demoed one for me, using an SAD1024 instead of the MN3010.  The reticon chip can *functionally* sub for the MN3010 because it too can be configured to be a pair of parallel 512-stage blocks.

This is a very impressive flanger.  There are a few keys to this one.  The big one is the sweep width, and part of that is the clock/driver circuit, using a 4007/4047 combo instead of the simpler but less effective MN3101 clock chip.  You listen and you think "How much farther could it sweep?", but it keeps on going and going.  Another key is likely the filtering of the regen signal. Most flangers filter, post-BBD, and tap the regen signal after the filtering.  This one feeds a minimally filtered delay signal to the output/mixer but filters the delay signal on the way to regeneration.  Finally, there is an interesting rectifier/limiter/clipper arrangement in the stage that mixes the regen and straight signal on the way to the BBD.  Sure to add a little harmonic excitement to things.

StephenGiles

I have built 2, both on stripboard, the first giving myself plenty of space to allow for errors and the second I squeezed on to a piece of stripboard 5.5" x 4". That's 140mm x 100mm for our amigos in Argentina! - pretty tight but working. I do intend to draw out the stripboard component placing at some point but havn't had time yet. As I don't do PCBs, I find stripboard quite easy to work with.

I built the ADA in stages as you can read over on ampage, in that way it is possible to make sure that each section is working as you go. For instance, I always start off with the LFO, then the BBD clock. I always use IC sockets for cmos and bbd chips as they are the most likely culprits to fry if something goes wrong.
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

Paul Marossy

Well, I looked at those schematics. It looks pretty intense.   :shock:
This is not a one-nighter, is it?  :wink:

StephenGiles

No this is definitely not a one nighter, in fact the small board I built over a couple of weeks. I'm currently looking at it and it needs wires for the pots and sockets and of course an enclosure, which I probably stand more chance of buying at the South Pole than in London. I'll probably cobble a box together from a piece of aluminium and some wood. Then I'm in control and I can get it the right size.
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

mongo

Hi, could you please put the URL to this ADA PCB again please?

mongo

StephenGiles

gorohon

It would be nice if the PCB and layout were in a different format other than Power Point.  But, I'm not saying for anyone to bend over backwards to do it.  That would be my request to whoever is concerned.
"Come on in...I've got caaandy!" H.S.

jplaudio

no problem 8)  I don't use MS software so I can understand
Here is a PDF version
http://home.twcny.rr.com/jplaudio/adaflanger.pdf

gorohon

Well I managed to print out the first page, but there is something wrong with the second page.  It seems like the page does not completely load up.  I guess the second page has the parts layout, am I right?  Anyways, thanks for what I got so far.
"Come on in...I've got caaandy!" H.S.

lightningfingers

i take it perf is out then? :wink:
U N D E F I N E D

Paul Marossy

Someone mentioned earlier in this thread that they built one on stripboard.
Perf is possible, but man, is there a lot of opportunities to screw something up! This is one that I would definitely use a PCB on - except that the one linked above is untested....
Not going to be an easy project.