Audible differences between Triangle/Sine LFO-ed chorus ?

Started by Yuan Han, May 04, 2004, 01:03:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yuan Han

Would there be any audible/sonically difference between a chorus that has its clock speed modulated by a triangle LFO and one modulated by a sine ?

What I feel is that ...the difference might just be so small, that its kinda inaudible ?

Reminds me of Marshall Supervibe, which has a "Waveform" like knob....."selecting" between different waveforms, which i would guess is the LFO.. I recall that the knob did not change anything significant though.

Han

puretube

yes, slight difference only, but if you really listen concentrated
close to the effect, you`ll hear it;
and after you know the difference, you`ll like it...

(comparable to the diff. between the 2 in the audio-range...)

Mark Hammer

Whether the difference is noticeable, though, will partly depend on the rate.  At very slow rates, perhaps not all that noticeable, and similarly at very fast rates.

Just ask yourself the question "If something was changing, how fast or slow would it have to go for me to notice it is changing?"

A sine-vs-triangle difference is a difference in the rate of change around the peaks of the waveform, with very little difference between the peaks (on the way up and on the way down).

I'm not saying the difference is unimportnat or undetectable, just that it needs certain conditions to be detectable and a musically useful change.

Paul Marossy

You would notice more of a difference with a sawtooth or square wave. A square will sound pretty buzzy, and it's not that good for speakers...

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

And another alternative is rectified sinewave (like a kangaroo hopping) or this inverted (kangaroo hopping upside down).

Yuan Han

Thanks guys !

Think it would be something I would wanna try out. Since most choruses don't really have it.

similarly for a flanger I guess. Triangle/Sine switch would be  a nice addition. Together with a even/odd regeneration path.

Han

Mark Hammer

I shouldn't downplay LFO waveform differences too much.  There can be circumstances where a given waveform of a given speed has more use thanit might in another instance.

A perfect example is tremolo. where different waveforms can impart different degrees of "nervousness" or "relaxation" to the same tremolo speed.  Similarly, what may make little audible difference when wet and dry are combined into a mono signal, may well make more difference when the pedal splits wet and dry to different outputs.

There is an oooooooooold multi-waveform LFO/clock project from Elektor posted at my site, called the SEWAR.  It was originally intended as an accompaniment to a 2-BBD "reverb" (really echo) project in an earlier issue.  Some of the Exar chips it uses can be a little pricey these days, but it will give you an idea of what can be involved AND possible.

Ge_Whiz

Paul

I've checked on the globe yet again, and it's perfectly clear to me that ALL kangaroos hop upside down.  :wink:

gez

Quote from: Paul Perry (Frostwave)And another alternative is rectified sinewave (like a kangaroo hopping)

I've used a positive going rectified sine in a few auto wahs and it's nice!
They sound odd in tremolos though - very smooth but subtle due to less off time.
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

Yuan Han

another thing,

there's this common LFO circuit that has a Sine / Triangle out.
If i just use use a pot and connect sine to CCW, triangle to CW, and then the wiper would be the "mixed" output ?

jplaudio

Quote from: Paul Perry (Frostwave)And another alternative is rectified sinewave (like a kangaroo hopping) or this inverted (kangaroo hopping upside down).

Heres a simple circuit for a log-sine sweep
http://ampage.org/hammer/files/hypertriangleclock.gif

Yuan Han

yep JPL, i was exactly *JUST* at Mark's site !

I just took a glance at the SEWAR project thingie....and woah i think thats something i gotta read !:)

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Quote from: Yuan Hanthere's this common LFO circuit that has a Sine / Triangle out.
If i just use use a pot and connect sine to CCW, triangle to CW, and then the wiper would be the "mixed" output ?

you can work out on graph paper what happens. You don't get an 'even' transformation, you get a sone at one end, than a pointy tip on the sine, then it becomes a triangle.
But, it might sound good! Who can say, until they hear?
I made a triangle to sine converter, that works by gradually increasing the triangle fed to a 3080 amplifier, so it clips, and eventually goes from triangle to sine to rounded square. But, the triangle is still a bit lower amplitude at the output...