Tap Tempo to a DIY Delay

Started by YouAre, May 04, 2004, 09:01:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YouAre

WOuld it be possible to add tap tempo to the pt80?

ExpAnonColin

Do a search.

Yes, but it's difficult (most likely you'd need to use PIC).

-Colin

YouAre

cahannon

R.G.

R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

mattv

Paul Marossy

"What is tap tempo?"

It allows you to tap in the delay time that you want with your foot. The Boss DD-5 that I have has this feature. It comes in really handy. The only limitation is the maximum delay time allowed by the circuit.

mattv

Quote from: Paul Marossy"What is tap tempo?"

It allows you to tap in the delay time that you want with your foot. The Boss DD-5 that I have has this feature. It comes in really handy. The only limitation is the maximum delay time allowed by the circuit.

So you tap it when you want the repeat to play, or does tapping it cut the delay time by 8ths or something?

Paul Marossy

Not exactly. Tapping changes the time between repeats, or in other words, delay time. On the DD-5, there is a knob that selects the mode - the way it repeats. This would things like reverse delay, etc.

Mark Hammer

To expand on Paul's reply. "tap tempo" is the electronic equivalent of turning to your delay and saying  "and-a one, and-a two, and-a three, and-a four", or what your drummer does when they click their sticks in the air a few times at the start of a song.  The pedal averages out the inter-tap interval over several taps, and adjusts the delay time based on how long that inter-tap interval is.  Assuming you want the delay to repeat in a rhythmic way (which of course isn't always what you want), the delay time IS the "tempo".

I think you can see roughly how complicated this can be, since there has to be:
a) some means for registering and logging/latching inter-tap intervals
b) some means for averaging them in some reliable/valid way
c) some means for converting that into a signal to drive delay time up or down
d) some means for permitting that control signal to change delay time and hold it there

All of that can actually be more complicated to implement that the delay itself.

guitarzan25

this may be one of those times that it's cheaper, easier, more convenient to just hop on ebay and buy the dd-5. I know that we'd all love to feed that inner mad scientist and build all of our own gear, but there are times when the heartache, heartburn, and hair loss are not worth the end result.

just my two pesos...
Rom. 12:2

Paul Marossy

And, all of that stuff is packed inside of a normal sized Boss pedal...
It would be very hard to get DIY circuit to be something similar in size to the Boss pedal.

Thanks for the technical explanation on that, Mark.  8)

puretube

...you can`t imagine how many inner mad scientists are lurking here...

(referring to guitarzan)

Paul Marossy

BOO WHA HA HA HA HA!!!   :lol:

maximee

ryanscissorhands

Quote from: maximee
:)

^That's awesome.