News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

The Shadows!

Started by StephenGiles, May 05, 2004, 03:00:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StephenGiles

http://gilliangvideo.co.uk/shadsstuff/shadswlandhigh.wmv
See the old boys play live??? or even if they were miming it still sounds bloody good.
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

LP Hovercraft

Viva Hank Marvin!!!!!  Beautiful stuff

RDV

Where's the bloody bassist! :wink:

Got to love that sound. REVERBREVERBREVERBREVERBREVERB
ECHOECHOECHOECHOECHO

The Ventures were pretty neat too, by the way.

RDV

maximee

hey guys...
wait until you hear SLACKTONE!
man, are they awesome...dave wronsky is such a baddass player!
and he also works for fender custom shop... :)
if you are into instrumental surf go check them out...
and don't miss them live!
all members have played with top notch surf acts (dick dale...i guess that says pretty much everything :) )

Lonestarjohnny

Thanks Stephen, Great video, Love Ol Hank, What a tone,
JD

Hal

i cant believe i'm saying this, but the cyber twin does it pretty well....much better than i can get with the stomboxes i have, at least...

I love them too.  Im the only one who's ever heard of them around here....

Everyone else thinks the Sugarhill Gang wrote Apache :-D

brett

Mackenzie Theory.  Wonderful combination of surf music and psychedelia.  Maybe 1/2 Shadows with 1/2 Cream.  Fantastic.  The lead guitarist, ??forget-his-name?? Mackenzie plays sometimes with the Shadows and does live gigs -  he's still totally got it.
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

LP Hovercraft

Hank Marvin should have worn a wetsuit with flippers for his performance because his tone is from deep into the back of oceans beyond.   That would have been great seeing him freak out the morning crowd.  Loved the synchronized moves.  Have any of you heard Tony Iommi's version of Wonderful Land?  

The Ventures in Space is a great work of art.  If you don't have it in your collection-get it.  They were far ahead of their time.

Hal

the shadows have been playing together since 1990??  Huh?  weren't they from like..the late '50s?-early 60's ?

Who is that on the video...???  

::so confused::

Tim Escobedo

Wonderful Land is my favorite Shadows tune. Nice to see the TV spot.

Kinda funny, the only "performance" I'd ever seen of the band was when I rented a video for my son of the old Thunderbirds TV show. There's a dream sequence (yes, we get to see a puppet's dream!) where the Shadows (rendered as marionettes!) are playing in this outer space night club, and are joined onstage with a marionette Cliff Richard for a rockin' little number! The details are pretty funny, even down to Hank Marvin's black glasses.

GillianG

In answer to Hal, the Shads haven't played together since 1990 is what was actually said. Yes they started in 1958. They were miming to a version of Wonderful Land re recorded...I can't remember the date offhand, but when they changed record labels to Polydor, and as they were only miming, the bass player was excused duty, Hank Bruce and Brian are 'The Shadows' after all.

Nice to see you making use of my .wmv file of that TV performance.

Gillian

BILLYL

I thought he retired.....................

That was great.  Imagine a concert with Hank - Dick Dale and the Ventures.  We would all need our wet suits.

COW-A-BUNGA DUDES

:lol:

Where do you surf in England????????????

Great stuff.

Thanks for the treat....

BILLYL

Hal

wow, i cant understand british people... ;)

hahahahahaha

Nasse

:shock: Nice part camera zooming Hank´s modified strat vibrato arm. Perhaps he invented that trick in 60´s, dunno, but it is not very well known trick. Players kept it somewhat like a secret in 60´s. That is ergonomics for sure.
  • SUPPORTER