T-shirt Iron On Transfer Logos / Lettering

Started by downweverything, August 29, 2003, 03:39:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

downweverything

I read a couple suggestions to use fabric iron on transfer for making logos and artwork on pedals.  I was wondering a little more about the proccess.  Do you have to do anything special?  Just clean, iron, remove?  Can you do this over a coat of paint?  Does anybody have samples of work they did with iron on transfer?  I just wanted to be a little more informed and confident before I tried it.  Thanks.
Nathan
nconrad@niu.edu

Rodgre

Yeah, I wondered too, because it turned out like hell for me the other day...

Roger

runmikeyrun

yeah, should you sand the boxes or prep them in any way before ironing things on?  I have some of those transfers here and was wondering about the best way to get em to stick.

Also, can ya put clear coat on em afterwards?
Bassist for Foul Spirits
Head tinkerer at Torch Effects
Instagram: @torcheffects

Dislikes: old women

moosapotamus

See my web site for some examples. All the boxes that look like they are silkscreened were done with the t-shirt transfer stuff.

I use ONLY the stuff that's made especially for ironing on to DARK colored fabric. Not the regular stuff that you have to reverse your image to print it out, then trim it and lay it down face down to iron it.

The stuff that's made for dark fabric has a backing on it that you peel off after its printed. Then, you lat it down face up, cover with the protective tissue paper that comes with it, and iron it down. I use the recommended temperature setting, and iron for no more than about two minutes, a little less for small boxes and maybe a little more for larger boxes. It just takes a couple trys to get the feel. If you iron for too long, the transfer material gets too soft and will start to smear/smudge from the pressure of the iron.

I tried ironing on to a spray painted surface once and got a burnt, sticky mess. Now, I only iron on to plain, unfinished hammond die-cast aluminum boxes. For preparation, all I do is sand the surface smooth. Sometimes those boxes have a bit of texture to them that will come through the iron-on transfer material.

After the box cools down, I sand the sides and spray it with a few coats of lacquer. That's it. :D

~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net
"I tend to like anything that I think sounds good."

Coley

thanks!

where should we get these special transfers? normal hobby stores have them?

-coley

downweverything

you can get them at any office supply store, walmart probably has them too.