Blue resistors, brown resistors

Started by Danny G, May 07, 2004, 11:49:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danny G

Here's a question:

I did the R28 mod to my Phase 90, but wanted to go back.  I went to the store to replace the resistor--I asked the guy what's the difference between blue and brown resistors? (All the Phase 90's were blue).  He said, "Just different manufacturers."

Just thought I'd make sure--I was just looking at a pic of a modded pedal, where some of the resistors were exchanged for "metal film resistors,"  and noticed some of those little blue guys in the pic, the same # that were swapped.

Are the blue ones "metal film," or just a different make.  And if they're "metal film," what's the difference?

Thanks

soundcollage

Do a search in the archives, but from my experience the blues are metal film and more importently 1% tolerence as opposed to the browns which are carbon film and are 5% tolerence. Either should work fine in electronic projects especially if you are using a DMM to check their values. Were you at a radio shack? They seem notoriously oblivious to anything not related to cell pones or remote controlled cars. They also seem more than willing to spread misinformation if it means a sale.
james

Fret Wire

The blue resistors are metal film. The tan looking ones are carbon compostion. Metal film are usually quieter than carbon comp resistors. Their tolorance from the indicated value is generally 1% vs. 5% for carbon comp. In your case, either will work ok for R28. BTW, you didn't like the sound with R28 removed?
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

Samuel

If it is a metal film 1% resistor, though, you'll notice that it has five color bands instead of three. (And the last band will be brown to denote the 1% tolerance). I have actually seen (and purchased) blue resistors that only have four color bands, and were 2% tolerance (red final band) - not 100% sure what material they were made out of - bt I'm guessing metal film.

puretube

you also often find (older) carbons with 10 or even 20% ...

Danny G

It sounded good, but I also liked the "over the top" aspect of it with R28.  I heard of someone rigging a toggle switch to it and thought it was a cool idea--go for both sounds and switch back and forth.

Not a HUGE difference in sound, but it's there.  And it was a cool practice project.  Never rigged a toggle switch to a pedal before \m/