Template drawing software recommendations?

Started by RobB, May 09, 2004, 04:37:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobB

I like to print out templates (with fold down sides) which I glue onto a box before drilling.  This method ensures consistent and accurate results.  These files come in handy when a friend requests a stomp box which I’ve already built or when a new effect requires the same box layout.  

Up until now I’ve been using the free windows paint program, which comes with the operating system.  For a grid, I use a scanned image if 1mm graph paper and draw over the top of that.  There are a couple of disadvantages to this.  My grid is inaccurate by about 5%, so 100mm prints out as 105mm.  The other problem is that I’m limited to a size of about an A4 sheet of paper (too small for an amp chassis).  

Can anybody recommend software which has a scalable grid down to 0.5mm, unlimited image size, doesn’t take up too much disk space and is either free or very cheap?  I don’t need a fully blown CAD package like AutoCAD.  I’ve found EAGLE to be quite accurate for PCBs but the free version limits the size of the layout.  

Any recommendations?

brett

Hi fellow aussie Rob.

I used to do the same thing as you, but drawn in MS Excel.  From memory, Exel didn't scale things, so I drew the template outline, printed it then re-scaled the height and width of the drawing to a known size.  It worked ok.

Because I settled on two basic box designs, I've since made a physical template (of aluminium) with appropriate groups of holes, etc.  With this, I get holes with less than 2mm variation from box to box (on a bad day).  Also, there's no glueing, printing, etc.  Just a very careful measure-up on the template the first time.

cheers
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

RobB

Thanks Brett.  

I prefer disposable templates.  Gluing with paper glue is quick enough for one or two offs.  Editing for a slightly different layout is easy too.  This is why I’m looking for a drawing/cad program, which is easy to use and has an accurate grid.  

I’ve downloaded Serif DrawPlus4 and am checking it out at the moment.  The grid facility seems a bit buggy.  At some levels of zoom it divides centimetres into quarters(like inches).  I haven’t been able to get it to print out a solid fine line yet but that will most likely be in the set up somewhere.  

Does anyone else use paper templates for drilling?

Gringo

I have used expresspcb (yes, that one) to draw and then print box templates. Worked quite well.
Cut it large, and smash it into place with a hammer.
http://gringo.webhop.net

RobB

Ok, so this is how I went.  The Serif DrawPlus4 freeware program was a bit buggy and the registration process didn’t work.  It stopped working after 30 days so I’ve uninstalled it completely.  

While I was waiting to see if the registration would work I downloaded a freeware version of  AllyCAD 3.4.  Having never used a CAD type program before, it took quite a bit of getting used to before I could do anything with this thing.  It took about 2 hours to set up the scales and learn how to draw lines, circles and rectangles of exact proportions.  I really like this program now that I’m past the steepest part of the learning curve.  

If you ever need/want to produce accurate drawings/templates then give this one a try.  

Thanks to those who responded to my initial question.