Where is a place I can buy mountable CDS cells?

Started by O'malley's Alley, May 11, 2004, 04:18:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

O'malley's Alley

I want to mount a cds cell to this guitar I'm building, so I can control the volume with my finger (I'd build a circuit inside the guitar)  but I need a cds cell that can be mounted.  Anyone have any links?
HCFX - Vamp_Hunter_D
GuitarGeek - mancubus22

Jason Stout

Jason Stout

petemoore

Those low numbers on the Max. Dark...starting at 5k, [low enough I stopped looking further]...would be easy to find a use for.
 The LDR's I have around here all start at like 150k-230k on the low side, the high side doesn't seem to matter much to me so far...get ones that go low, and I could find places for them easily, like for volume control application/tremolo..I can think of plenty of places to use these.
 The ones I have, with their low reading being sort of high...I haven't found a decent place to put these LDR's.
 I haven't found an application that likes to start at 150k and go up that I like to use..
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

anyuser00

Quote from: petemooreI haven't found an application that likes to start at 150k and go up that I like to use..

I'm sure you've already thought of it buy what about a parallel resistor :?

Mark Hammer

I'm reminded of the old solar-powered nightlight project that Popular Electronics ran in one of their April issues some years back.  One of those projects that made sense *electronically* but had this one sticky point that got in the way - the nature of the universe.

Perhaps you need to articulate how you plan to do this a little more, but it seems to me that having a photocell face outward on the surface of a guitar means it would be constantly exposed to light, hence constantly at low resistance.  You'd need to cover it with your picking hand to produce any changes.  Move your hand away from the LDR and back to the strings and the volume would change.

Before you start ordering anything, maybe you could reveal a few more details.  This may turn out reasonable or may well be one of those solar-powered nightlights.

R.G.

I'm reminded of the gadget that I saw at a guitar show. Someone had *patented* the widget. It was a plug that went into the guitar, then the normal cord plugged into that. The inside was ... yep, an LDR behind a window, in series with the signal.

It sounded downright impressive there at the show. The guy doing the demo was practiced with it and he did some downright clever soft-bowed attack delays and fade-ups. But I wondered - howzat work when you're on stage wailing away, and the spotlight wanders off you? Or they change the color filters? or...

Any widget that depends on available light is going to have difficulty on real stages. In bedrooms or garages, no problem.

Hey! Maybe what we need is some kind of variable resistor that is mechanical, doesn't depend on the available light. That way we could mount it on the guitar, near your picking hand, and you could just touch it and twiddle the control; it would stay where you put it unless it was spring loaded.  Maybe something that had a rotating knob that you could reach out an touch with a pinky to change volume or tone... you know, something like that.

8-)
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Mark Hammer

Quote from: R.G.Maybe what we need is some kind of variable resistor that is mechanical, doesn't depend on the available light. That way we could mount it on the guitar, near your picking hand, and you could just touch it and twiddle the control; it would stay where you put it unless it was spring loaded.  Maybe something that had a rotating knob that you could reach out an touch with a pinky to change volume or tone... you know, something like that.

That's some weird and wild stuff.  What're you on down there in Tejas, pot or somethin?

Samuel

Two bad this is primarily a guitar forum, this thread is in dire need of a rimshot.

O'malley's Alley

If I were to do it, I would put a toggle between it, so I could bypass it when not using it.  It seems like it would be nice to make wierd ambient swells and stuff, although it would be hard cause you couldn't strum at the same time (unless you have three arms  :shock: )
HCFX - Vamp_Hunter_D
GuitarGeek - mancubus22

Mark Hammer

I still have my doubts about using LDRs, but take a moment to consider a guitar-mounted version of what pedal-stell players use.  Any possibility you could have a volume whammy-bar?

BillyJ

Why not devise a way to use also a powerful light. Like perhaps one of those goose neck flashlights.
Aim it right atthe LDR. If it is bright enoughit could "drown out" less bright ambient light.
I think it still wouldn't be perfect but if your clever you could make it much more reliable.

gez

The way I see it you have two options:

1.  Miner's helmet (nod head rhythmically in direction of cell)

2.  Football floodlight directed at stage by sound man in pulse to music

NURSE!........DRUGS TRAY PLEASE!!.......
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

Jason Stout

I'd like to have something like ZVEX's proximity tremolo on my guitar.
Jason Stout

O'malley's Alley

yeah, that would be pretty cool.  You could build in a tremelo circuit, and then replace the speed pot with a LDR, so that you could just control the speed with your finger.  I would do that, but I dont want to build all the circuitry into my guitar.  Maybe though...
HCFX - Vamp_Hunter_D
GuitarGeek - mancubus22

Hal

what does CDS stand for  :lol:  

never seen that before  :?

O'malley's Alley

I belive it stands for cadnium sulfide cell.  There's so many names for them, it can get confusing!
HCFX - Vamp_Hunter_D
GuitarGeek - mancubus22

primalphunk

Quote from: gezThe way I see it you have two options:

1.  Miner's helmet (nod head rhythmically in direction of cell)

2.  Football floodlight directed at stage by sound man in pulse to music

NURSE!........DRUGS TRAY PLEASE!!.......

Dude, I'm gonna call the SPCLG on you.  It's unspeakably cruel to torment little greenies like that.  Watch your step there, man!

gez

Quote from: primalphunkDude, I'm gonna call the SPCLG on you.  It's unspeakably cruel to torment little greenies like that.  Watch your step there, man!

Thanks to the anonymity of the internet the SPCLG have yet to catch up with me, though I do realise that my days are numbered and I'll probably end up in front of a court in the Hague...but until then!  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter