Any schematics around for an onboard mid booster like Emg's?

Started by Chris Goodson, May 11, 2004, 04:36:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Goodson

I was looking at David Gilmores guitar's internal setup in an old issue of Guitar Shop today.  He uses EMG's SPC mid booster and the EXG mid cut/expander.  I've recently put a Stratoblaster in my guitar and really like it so far, but I thought some sort of active tone control might be cool.  Are there any schematics around for stuff like this that might fit in the guitar cavity?

Ben N

I think Aron has a couple of variants of the Fender Eric Clapton Strat circuit, which includes a buffer/preamp and a variable mid-boost.  It is not as compact as the EMG, IIRC, but definitely along the same lines.  Also, so a search for Craig Anderton's mid-boost, the basic schematic for which is floating around (and also found in one of his books).  
Hope this helps.
Ben
  • SUPPORTER

BD13UK

There were a couple of schematics relating to mid boosts etc at the Blue Guitar page, I believe the Clapton one was also there
Brian

cd

If you use small caps and 1/8W resistors, you can fit the EC Strat circuit in 2 square inches of stripboard.  I have a homemade one in my Strat, tone is good but it's noisy.

Ben N

CD:
Hey, I'm curious about the details--how'd you mount it?  Did youi have to rout at all?  Where'd you put the battery(ies)?  Did you do the original circuit, or the op-amp variant?  Got pix?
Ben
  • SUPPORTER

cd

Quote from: Ben NCD:
Hey, I'm curious about the details--how'd you mount it?  Did youi have to rout at all?  Where'd you put the battery(ies)?  Did you do the original circuit, or the op-amp variant?  Got pix?
Ben

The fit was still tight, so to "mount" it all I did was to stuff it in a plastic bag (so nothing shorted out) and it fit in the standard Strat routing for pickup selector switch/pots.  I put the battery (a single 9V) behind the tremolo block - I play with a blocked trem (like on the EC strat) so I got rid of the block of wood I had there and replaced it with the battery and another smaller piece of wood as a shim.  I did it this way for ease of battery replacement (though the battery lasted a really long time) and I don't think there's enough room for the battery inside the existing routing.  I used the original discrete circuit (with 3904 and 5807) not the opamp version.  Sorry, no digital camera so no pix :(

Lonestarjohnny

can you help me out on which transistor goes where, Q1,Q2.Q3,Q4 ?
Thanks,
JD

cd