T shirt.. iron on... design... pedal work... art stuff!!!!?

Started by el duderino, May 12, 2004, 10:43:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

el duderino

hey  :D

i have read some of the posts about t-shirt iron ons being used to design a pedal how does this work?

if i wanted to do it would i be able to design my own labels and stuff?

and what materials do i need???  :wink:

thanks eamonn...
you can keep my finger nails clean

petemoore

Avery* Dark T-Shirt Transfers...[office max? etc.]
 The directions are simple, getting the layout perfected is tricky.
 Test your print on a sheet of typing paper at low res/low ink output, that way you can try/adjust/verify the layouts before you commit the transfers or tons of ink.
 I was using T-Shirt material to iron the imaged [printed on] Transfers, then cut and glue...IIRC some people were Transferring directly to the box top, using longer iron times, with better result's cause by luck or trial and error, heating times, amount of pressure, steady hand...etc. all playing a role in the outcome of the finish.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Samuel

I just did this and found it very easy.

My one piece of advice would be: design the top of the box before drilling. then print out your design on plain paper and use it as a template for doing the drilling. Once you're done with that, print out the transfer, and basically follow the directions in the package. I used slightly longer iron times than they suggest, and mine came out absolutely fantastic.

Also, don't be dismayed if the print onto the transfer looks a little anemic before you transfer it. It gets darker and richer when it goes on the box...

Skreddy

I'm having serious problems with this stuff.  I'm already basically committed to it for my 'Mayonaise' project, but every time I use this method (I iron the transfer directly to the box) I get blistering.  I've tried altering the temp and ironing times, but so far, in order to get good adhesion, I suffer the side-effect of blisters in the middle portion of the transfer.

Any helpful hints?

Samuel

Try preheating the box? Just run the iron over it for a minute to get it warm. Trick is, you'll have to be very very careful when you lay the transfer down, cause it will stick immediately

Dan N

Make sure the box is really clean. I usually hit it with 220 grit in my palm sander, then clean with acetone.

Sorry, but preheating the box does not sound good to me. The plastic sticks like crazy to hot metal, and would be a repositioning mightmare.

Don't push the iron down too hard. Just enough to get the works hot and smooth.

Tons of little blisters and you are screwed. The large ones can be popped with a sharp needle or x-acto, and smoothed down with your finger while the box is still hot (don't burn yourself!).

I think beginners might want to go for less before more. Less time, less pressure, maybe even a tad less heat. Less can be added to, more can be a melted bubbly mess.

Be the ball!