Measuring Battery Drain with a DMM

Started by phillip, May 12, 2004, 06:30:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phillip

Okay, I've been trying to measure the battery drain of my MKII, but I can't get either of my DMMs to read anything.

I've put the meter in series with the positive AND negative poles of the battery and the battery clip, and I've also tried both sides with the leads one way and the other....NOTHING

Fuses aren't blown.

What's going on?

Phillip

Hal

i _really_ hate to be the one to ask, but is the battery dead ?

what are you trying to measure, current or voltage of the circuit?

phillip

Nope it's a fresh battery...measures 9.5V.

I'm trying to read the current draw of the circuit by putting the meter in series with the battery and reading the current being used.  I have the leads plugged in to the right "ports" on the meter and have it set on DC amps...still not reading anything

Phillip

Hal

is it auto-ranging?  Most pedals draw in the 10ma range, and this might be too low for what you have....??

phillip

One of them is auto ranging, and the other isn't.

I think I finally got something with the non auto ranging one.  When set in the 20A position, it measures 0.01, which I assume means 10mA...

Phillip

petemoore

The manual is like probably easy to understand if you know how to use the meter...lol/ just doesn't 'scale' it where I can figure what to call amps milliamps etc or where to put the decimal point.
 I tried to do comparison checks...ie try getting a current measurement off a 1Q booster, the try getting one off of a 5 stage OA build...uh I dunno...manual is kinda sketchie...
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

phillip

The Manual would probably help ;)  The problem is that I got both these DMMs used, so the manuals are long gone...

Phillip

ErikMiller

This may seem obvious, but since you're flying without a manual, most meters require that for current measurements, you plug your "hot" test probe into a different socket on the meter.

Do your meters have that requirement? Do you have the probe in the right socket? It's usually fairly easy to tell from the markings on the sockets.

Ge_Whiz

The 20A input is usually a fuse-protected special input for high currents - don't the DMMs have 200mA or 20mA ranges via the normal sockets?

phillip

Yep both of the meters have 200mA and 20mA ranges that use the same plug in spot as the other standard functions.  I can't get them to read anything using the 20mA mode.

Phillip

petemoore

What are you running the test on?
 Not many circuits pull more than 20ma. IIReadC.

phillip

It's a ToneBender MKII Professional...NPN version with a LED.  The LED will increase battery drain...probably uses more current than the circuit itself ;)  I wouldn't suspect that it would be more than 10-11mA though.

Phillip

petemoore

ToneBender should be fairly easy on the current drain. 10ma. I think is on the high side especially for a TB.
 Hmmmmm...I need to run some new tests.