Electric shock protection?

Started by LH, May 13, 2004, 01:53:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LH

I've heard of people using a capacitor in parallel with a resistor on the string ground wire of a guitar to prevent electric shock. Has anyone used this parallel capacitor/resistor on their string ground? I've heard some people say that it can contribute some noise, but I think a bit of noise is better than getting shocked.

Thanks for any info.

Fret Wire

Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

LH

Quote from: Fret Wirehttp://www.guitarnuts.com/technical/electrical/safety/index.php

Thanks for the reply, Fret Wire.

Actually, I've already read and am using the 0.33-uF isolation capacitor described in that article. I was just curious as to other shock prevention methods, since the 0.33-uF isoaltion cap is supposed to protect against a malfunctioning vintage amp, but not necessarily the other types of shock described in that article.

smoguzbenjamin

What *exactly* are you scared of? A direct short, putting high voltage on your strings? SS amps don't operate above 50v I think, which can hurt but not kill... correct me if I'm wrong as I'm not sure about that...

Unless you're using old tube amps I wouldn't worry. If you're using an old amp without the ground prong connected, I suggest you do just that, connect the ground wire to the chassis of the amp and you should be good to go. Put a 1A slo-blo fuse on the hot mains lead too so it doesn't draw too much current.
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

Fret Wire

Even if your equipment is alright, there can still be problems with the "house" wiring. That should always be discussed, and checked out with the manager/owner before the gig. Doesnt hurt if someone in the band has an electrician friend to check for them.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

Peter Snowberg

A series combinatin of a cap and a resistor would give you the most protection. For starters.... how about .33uF & 220K?

Take care,
-Peter
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

R.G.

QuoteEven if your equipment is alright, there can still be problems with the "house" wiring. That should always be discussed, and checked out with the manager/owner before the gig. Doesnt hurt if someone in the band has an electrician friend to check for them.

Even simpler, go to a hardware store and get one of the three-LED plugins that tell you if the power outlets you're plugging into are connected correctly.

Every gigging musician should have one. The're under $10.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Ansil

LH

Thanks for the info, everyone.

Between using capacitors and my outlet checker, I'm just trying to minimize any potential shock causes and minimize the potential damage to me should it occur... :shock:

smoguzbenjamin

Sorry, forgot about house wiring faults. I haven't had much gigging experience, sadly :D

aron

I used to use the cap/resistor anti-shock circuit, but it made my guitar so noisy I had to stop. I mean it was unusable in some situations. Kind of a bummer.

Nasse

:? I remember reading years and years ago they used to put a fuse in series with guitar bridge ground wire. But conclusion was it was not fast enough, and finding small enough fuse (15 mA is the ideal max value) was the problem.  

Where I live you can buy a gadget called "false current protection" or something, dont know what it is called in English language. It needs grounded wall socket but it nice thing if you work outdoors or some risky environment with electric hand tools.
  • SUPPORTER

LH

Quote from: aronI used to use the cap/resistor anti-shock circuit, but it made my guitar so noisy I had to stop. I mean it was unusable in some situations. Kind of a bummer.

Thanks for the confirmation on the noise issue. Good to know, but sad it's true.

smoguzbenjamin

You mean a ground leak switch, Nasse. You do mean a thingimajib that measures current in and out and if they're no equal it shuts off the power, right? I guess you could get one at a hardware store... Dunno I never really looked for those things.

Nasse

QuoteYou mean a ground leak switch, Nasse. You do mean a thingimajib that measures current in and out and if they're no equal it shuts off the power, right? I guess you could get one at a hardware store...

Yeah, thats the word maybe. Dunno but quess it would work with guitar amps and things too. Tried to find some info with search engine and they claimed that it is more efficient than isolation transformer in some situations. The principle how it works was interesting, of course in Finnish language  :wink:

But for gigging band and stage with microphone stands and lots of equipment that tester is good anyway. List of rock stars who have died because of electric shock is surprisingly long.

Another useful safety gadget would be a smoke detector that disconnects electric appliance when smoke or fire is detected. Sprinkler systems are not common in houses but standards for old TV sets have been looser in Finland, and they have caused many dangerous fires where I live.

One of the most famous Finnish rock musician (Remu Aaltonen, Hurriganes) lost his house and all his gold records and stuff this week. This was not caused because of electricity but he messed something with fireplace, went next room to talk on phone and that was it... The house was very valuable and historical, in the city of Porvoo

• SUPPORTER

smoguzbenjamin

Wow. Sucks for him :shock: