Hookup wire? Solid core or not? What Gage?

Started by ikiru-, May 14, 2004, 02:57:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ikiru-

What kind of hook-up wire does everyone use? I have been using solid core, as it fits nicely in the holes in my pcb that I etched. but it sort of a pain to work with when soldering to pots and such, and it is quite stiff...Thank you for the advice.

jay

leonhendrix

hi
never actaully used solid core for making efects i use 7 strand 24 gauge heres a mouser number 602-3050-10-01

ikiru-

thank you for the response. One question, to you have trouble getting that wire to fit into the hole in the pcb? Is there a trick to doing this?

Thank you,

jay

leonhendrix

Ive used that wire for boards i have ordered off tonepad and GGG with no problem.

petemoore

I use:
1.  Stranded, insulated, #24 Ga. wire: For all off board connections. [some onboard connections of longer length]
 Resistor leads: still connected the resistor, using the lenth provided is my favorite way, choose a resistor from the schematic, and see how many connections you can make by bending and cutting or not cutting the lead].
 When I need a short solid core workpiece. I just grab a resistor from the 'ohm section' [the small ones I hardly ever use, and have a bunch of], and use the wire of the leads...better than them never being used for anything...I bought a bunch of indexed resistor 'ribbon rolls'.
 My builds often have 'above to below' type board connections.
  I found out it's easier to leave room at as many points [nodes] as possible for DMM lead access during debugging...too tight a build, and resistors that have no exposed lead that a DMM probe can get to on the top of the board, makes for difficult/fretful debugging.
 Having to go to the bottom of the board to check connections is to be avoided IMO...especially on freestyle perf builds where there's no 'map'.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

bwanasonic

Quote from: ikiru-thank you for the response. One question, to you have trouble getting that wire to fit into the hole in the pcb? Is there a trick to doing this?

I think the  *trick* you might be referring to is *tinning* the leads. Flowing a little solder over the exposed end of the wire will make it easier to insert, and make a better connection. Then there is the issue of how big you drilled the holes and the pad size you used. Maybe you need bigger holes/pads?

Kerry M

Fret Wire

The pre-tinned #24 ga. hook up wire Small Bear sells is nice. But, when I first started, I did go to Rat Shack, and buy their solid hook up wire. Now, it just sits around in case I have to garrot a small rodent or something.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

bwanasonic

Quote from: Fret WireNow, it just sits around in case I have to garrot a small rodent or something.

Easy there fella, don't make me sic my hamsters on ya!

Friend of Rodents

Kerry M

Fret Wire

Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

ejbasses

Hi,

though most guys here would disagree, i think solid core telephone hookup wire is a great choice. its what i use inside my pedals.

i like it because it stays put, its cheap and its just the right size. iIt works very well with solder

just my 2 centavos
Four Strings To Rule Them All And In The Darkness Bind Them

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Quote from: ejbassesi think solid core telephone hookup wire is a great choice.

I use as lot of this in prototyping (plus, it is just right for those plastic prototyping boards, not that I use them!). If you can get the "fifty pair" wire used in office telephone systems, about half an inch thick, you have a huge number of different colors & stripes. A bunch spread out in a vase is a nice decoration too  :D

petemoore

S.B. sent me a sample of the pretinned 24 ga. stuff...by a good margin the best wires to work with.
 *Some of the solid core salvage wire doesn't like solder very well :oops: ...I never use that of course.
 My recent perf's have a holes along the sides for each pots wires to be threaded through for stabilizing/secureing [battery etc. ..all off board connections get looped through these holes].
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Hal

im still working with the wire i stripped from 2 broken computer power supplies...lots of nice colors and stuff :-D
In those, they have a couple of gages...the power going to the motherboard is generally a higher gauge wire...I've found it nice to use the heavier stuff for wiring ground from jacks, switches, and pretty much anything that doesn't really toutch the board.  Easier to solder, more durable, etc.  I would estimate that to be around 20 gauge.

dosmun

Solid wire works OK and I use it from time to time.  It is not as durable as Stranded.  If you bend it too many time sit will break easier than stranded which is more durable for circuits where the wires are prone to movement.

I use 22 gauge Solid core on some peds from the pot to the board to actually hold the board in place instead of standoffs.  I then run more more solid piece to the + of the DC input and it holds the perfboard (1"x 1") in place very well.

yano

My favorite is the hookup wire small bear offers, its pre-bonded stranded, so technically you're supposed to get the best of both worlds. It works well with breadboards, perf, and pcbs.

ikiru-

Thank you for all the responses. I think part of the problem may be the size that I drilled the holes...What size of drill bit do you use? I used .8mm throughout.

-jay