Transistor compressor here

Started by StephenGiles, May 15, 2004, 04:05:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StephenGiles

"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

gez

Thanks for the link, that's interesting.
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

R.G.

I believe you can replace Q1-Q7 and associated circuitry with an opamp. The gain change is done by changing the current through Q9 by D7-8 acting as a halfwave doubler, feeding charge into C9 and then having Q8 buffer that voltage into Q9.

The envelope generator is similar to half of the Dynacomp, although the bipolar as a gain change element is different.

I suspect that you have to watch the audio level pretty closely. Current dependent diode resistances (this is one) have to keep less than about 25mv of signal on them to keep distortion to acceptable levels.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

gez

Isn't there some -ve feedback when Q9 is turned on and isn't it this that causes the attenuation?

Probably totally wrong here, but that's what I found interesting about the circuit.
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

R.G.

QuoteIsn't there some -ve feedback when Q9 is turned on and isn't it this that causes the attenuation?
I don't believe so. The signal goes through the two 220nf caps, is shunted to ground to some variable degree by the diode resistance of Q9. There is no path from this Q9 voltage back into the signal path any other way. The rectifier/filter/Q8 circuit doesn't pass signal back into the audio path that I can see.

The input path goes to the non-inverting input of the equivalent opamp, and the feedback path for the equivalent opamp has no connection to the Q9 circuit. Looks like a standard attenuator in front of an amplifier, with the amplifier output driving the attenuator to attenuate harder with bigger signals.

The opamp runs at a forward gain of 150 (15K/100r) to make up for the attenuation of the input 22K/Q9 diode.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

gez

OK I've got it now, thanks.