Has anyone Cloned a Mosrite Fuzzrite?

Started by zacharythax, May 16, 2004, 05:06:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zacharythax

Has anyone cloned a Mosrite Fuzzrite? It's a simple circuit, and the schematic I have calls for a set of silicon transistors, though all the stuff I read is that you need germanium to get the old style sound.

I just need a really rattle-ly buzz like Dave Allan and the Arrows or The Music Machine on "Double Yellow Line"

Can hard clipping si transistors deliver the rattle?
You ain't no punk, you punk.
You wanna talk about the REAL junk?

BILLYL

Zach-

Check out FUZZ CENTRAL for a schematic and PCB/Layout

http://fuzzcentral.tripod.com/

brian wenz

Hello Hello--
    Yeah, I've built a few of them!  I like the way the silicon trannys sound but also would like to make one with germs [wonder how they would bias??]
  Do a "search"  through the forum ....we've had a couple of old threads on mods to the Fuzzrite.
Gus Smalley has a Fuzzrite  mod ["Ritefuzz"] somewhere in the Schematics section that adds more muscle to the original circuit, too.
 I really like alot of the 60's fuzzes and this one will get you right in the ballpark!    [Hey, how about The Seeds??!]
Brian.

Dan N

Quote from: brian wenz
 I really like alot of the 60's fuzzes

Ha ha! Understatement of the year!

Go Brian!

bobbletrox

http://www.tymguitars.com.au/graphics/tm_fuzz1.JPG

^^ they used to make 'em with a replica fuzzrite enclosure, but it looks like they've changed them.

zacharythax

Fug yeah, the Seeds! That's what we are, pure '60's garage punk. We've gotten by OK on a Chandler Tube Driver but it's unstable and we need a few more different sounds to avoid being one-dimensional.
You ain't no punk, you punk.
You wanna talk about the REAL junk?

brian wenz

Hello Hello Dan--
    Yeah, except now I wanna find out what kind of fuzzes were being made in the 50's!
Slightly off-topic...but are you guys aware of the Underground Garage radio show??    Check over at   www.littlesteven.com   and  punch in to the "underground garage"  section for a complete listing of the affiliates.
This is the best thing going on radio if yer into  cool old stuff  [LOTS of fuzz!]
Brian.

brett

Haven't built it yet, but the Maestro fuzz might get you somewhere, too.
(It's said to be the fuzz used on the Stones' Satisfaction, and uses easily available parts).  You'll need to search the net for a schematic.

have fun
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

brian wenz

Hello Hello Again--
     YEAH!!  The Maestro FZ-1A  [3 germs] is killer if you can properly bias the trannys.  [Not to hard to do.....do a "search" for "Maestro FZ-1A" and look into Gez's notes on the circuit.]  
This thing is a pretty easy build and sounds great for real 60's  fuzz stuff....at lower settings you get the "Satisfaction"  fuzz and when you max it out it gets into flame-thrower territory.
This thread is getting better and better!
Brian.