puretube

some Line6/POD & Co fans might not to know yet,
that they are offering a modeling guitar, too:
now you can also throw away all your solidbody, semi-hollows
and acoustics, too.

Rumour has it, somebody`s working on a tube-driven
modelling-guitarist...   8)

Johan

hey Aron..If you still have a Pod, the digital format going in to the D/A folows AES/EBU-TDIF format. I dont remember wich pin it is on that IC ( it sits near the input and says 45something) but you can run a cable from the digital-in straigt out and have a digital out to your computer/soundcard/harddisc-recorder... :D

Johan
DON'T PANIC

aron

Quote from: Johanhey Aron..If you still have a Pod, the digital format going in to the D/A folows AES/EBU-TDIF format. I dont remember wich pin it is on that IC ( it sits near the input and says 45something) but you can run a cable from the digital-in straigt out and have a digital out to your computer/soundcard/harddisc-recorder... :D

WOW! Really????

That would/could be cool!
Thanks for the info. I will look around for more info.

Aron

kdog

Quote from: PriveI have a big amp and i understand why some people love big amps but, i don't know why there are people who hates the POD stuff, they say it's thin sounding and things like that.
I think POD XT is an incredible box, all that pedals and amps and everything you need in a single, programable, easy and more BOX.
What they need????

You've answered your own question. :) That's the reason some people hate it.  :twisted:

Line 6 will go down in gear histroy, IMHO, because the Amp Farm/POD stuff is the FIRST piece of digital gear where it even MADE SENSE to ARGUE about whether or not it sounded like an amp. Prior to that you would've sounded like some strung out meth head who'd gotten ahold of a guitar catalog.

Before POD, the closest thing you had even in the neighberhood was the analog Rockman and Sansamp stuff... which was by its nature limited and never tried to actually do what the digital modeling is doing... Oh yeah, there were lots of things TRYING and PROMISING to bring all of the potential, flexibility, and prgrammability of digital modeling to gear but it all sounded like ASS.

Until POD anyway.

Now, even though, as usual, the truth is somewhere in the middle (POD isn't  the ultimate but also POD doesn't suck) at least we have something cool enough to fight over.... and that 's something to be thankful for, IMHO.

petemoore

Never even test driven a POD through an amp or PA.
 $ vs Versatility / Analog Vs Digital is is apples and oranges, no qualms there.
 It's obviously PDClose enough for many tastes, if I were a 'new' shopper for guitar gear, having a certain amount to spend on the entire rig, it would be silly to not consider a Flextone.
 Some people seem to swear by them, I tried one, with only factory presets of course, and at the music store for about 20 min. [admittedly not a worst case scenario field test], I dialed in countless interesting tones, my impression was it would quite likely be a nice thing to have around.
 Other than the price/versatitlity/portability, I really don't think I'd miss it that much, I've seen them used in numerous live situations, some of my buddies use them, they do sound exceptionally round and full for a non tube amp, and did a perfect [to my ears] guitar straight into fender type tone.
 For many many tones they are attractive sounding, pleasing to listen to.
 Great sounding distortion and overdrive tones.
 Who can describe in words what a hard driven, distorted tube amp breakup sounds like anyway? [I'd try].
 Could be I'm just stuck in my ways, [not], and like tweaking and building and A/Bing all the time, [certainly] ...taking mental notes etc.
 I'm just waiting 'till they start to delve into more of what analog effects or tubes Can't do. Like freak into a wild something else as note fades, effect chains cued by timing and amplitude of input, morphing verbphases, slow tremoloed fast tremolo, Trecho...etc
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

william

I think the reason companies like Line6 avoid doing things too out there is because guitarists tend to be conservitive when it comes to tones.  Many don't like to change.  TS/SD-1 into a Marshall, works for (insert name here).  Why try something else.   I myself don't get into much other than guitar-auto-wah-noise gate-amp when I play live.  For what ever reason, most guitarists don't want to extend themselves beyond what they are comfortable with, and for a company to support this, is a gamble.

As far as the Pod being a "disposable" peice of technology mine has been 100% dependable.  The only major problem I have with it is I dropped a keyboard, and broke the lcd.  Considering the weight of the keyboard, I'm suprised it didn't damage it more.  I have heard of the original pod's have problems with the jittering of the pots but haven't had any with my podxt.  

With all that said, I don't plan on replacing my 5150 or Dual Rectifier with a Vetta or a Spider II any time soon, but if I'm going to record and its midnight, the pod is the tool I reach for.  Or if I'm going to practice, a pair of headphones and the pod are always with in arms reach.

petemoore

What the heck, they seem to have alot of advantages that other effector don't.
 Good news/Bad News...if you can get anything of use from these 2, that Is good!!!
 I just figure if you're converting to D, why not stretch to the limits of what D can do [I think it's still at the tip of the iceberg], Digital effects  that 'play themselves', might be less musical to play, and wouldn't sound 'right 'less yer trippin'...it would seem a similar comment could have been heard about Tycho's and Univibes..
 Most of the time I play guitar that sounds like gutar, [what sounds like a guitar is directly influenced by what we've heard a guitar do].
 I love vintage tones [doesn't everybody?],... funny I know when I type 'vintage tones', I'm fairly precisely calling up memories of the 'same thing among us all: "guitar tones 'mass introduced' in the late 50's to early 70's].
 I would guess there was a name for what 60's Distortion-using guitar players called what came before....[vintage? undistorted? plain].
 At that time as now, pushing the limits of what analog can do introduced a whole new terminology and realm of sounds that are now considered 'standards'.
 Plain guitar will always have a place in the Mix IMO. So will distorted guitar, phaze etc.
 I suppose there's only so much you can do with a sound wave, and have it retain some semblence of musicality....If it's 'new' sounding and interesting though...I'd probly want to hear it, and try it [I always did].
                     :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Eric H

Quote from: petemoore
 I just figure if you're converting to D, why not stretch to the limits of what D can do [I think it's still at the tip of the iceberg]

I'm with you, Pete. I'd like to see the R&D spent on new sounds  --but the marketing boys are running the show. There are a lot of people working on this stuff "under the radar"  --so stay-tuned ;)

-Eric
" I've had it with cheap cables..."
--DougH

william

I would love something that offers me the option of a modular effects setup.  Something where if I want to, I can use an envelope filter to control the level of gain on a distortion effect, or a crazy vocoder effect.  While were getting off topic here, I'd like to make mention of a midi breath cotroller, that can be used to control the nord micro modual.  The Nord is a small digital modular synth.  You use a computer and program the modular and its connections to create the effect you want.  Then the breat controller is used to modulate the control.  Similar to a talk box.  A similar option would be the program Reaktor.  Software you run on your computer.  It works similar to the nord, but with the computer.  Both of these can be used to get pretty whacked out effects.

modmod

i've been using line's product since the first pod,now i got podxt and guitar port,i can tell u if i have a choice,i'll still prefer tube amp,the only best thing is i can play guitar at bedroom level,i do have an deluxe reverb also but what's the point if i can only turn up the volumne at 1 ? next thing is a lot easier when playing in stereo,third is for recording.
right now my setup is half analog half digital, running those wonderful pedal before my guitarport,i can immediately see the difference,GP is totally flat,even the plexi,i think it's the best one in either GP or podxt, i turn up everything at 10,sounds good,but even better with some boss/ibanez/maxon/whatever distortion pedalin front of it,now it sounds more 3d.
actually i can get jeff beck's "another place"'s tone pretty close,just with my guitar port. but it takes some time. :D

primalphunk

Quote from: williamI would love something that offers me the option of a modular effects setup.  Something where if I want to, I can use an envelope filter to control the level of gain on a distortion effect, or a crazy vocoder effect.  While were getting off topic here, I'd like to make mention of a midi breath cotroller, that can be used to control the nord micro modual.  The Nord is a small digital modular synth.  You use a computer and program the modular and its connections to create the effect you want.  Then the breat controller is used to modulate the control.  Similar to a talk box.  A similar option would be the program Reaktor.  Software you run on your computer.  It works similar to the nord, but with the computer.  Both of these can be used to get pretty whacked out effects.

Hey man...I'm right there with you on going for really messed up or even totally non-guitar-like sounds.  I'll always love vintage guitar tones but I want MORE than just that!  Have you got a link to a site about the Nord & the breath controller you mention?

I think many times there are people in R&D with various music companies that really want to go out on a limb to test limits.  There is at least one serious problem with this.  Guitarists today tend to be extremely conservative about the sounds they are willing to make and the means they are willing to employ to make them.  Please feel free to omit Fripp and Belew from this equation.  They do NOT represent the norm.  The problem seems to be that too many guitar players just want to continually use the same old methods and if coaxed into trying something new(let's just say guitar synth for instance) are too often dissapointed that it's not just like turning on a stompbox and playing exactly as they have always played.  You have to be willing to think in an exploratory way and to fail to do what you originally intended from time to time.  You'll always have some limit staring you in the face and you just have to deal with it, get on with things.  

When fairly revolutionary ideas are introduced there is always a contingent that will resist.  There is always someone that needs a simpler way.(Hey, when it comes do DIY I'm the greatest simpleton.  I need my dot-to-dot coloring book for this.)  Most guitarists like things simple.  If you look at what has happened with midi guitar over the years...Let's just take Roland as an example.  They're the main company that has stayed in this business.  They release a radical guitar synth.  A small number of people love it and the rest say...oh my...It's too complicated.  They then release the new improved guitar synth.  It's a dumbed down version of what was originally done and the guys that want ultra simple say, "yeah man!"  So the process begins.  More and more options are taken away from the end user with each new product release to help simplify things and make more money.  Then you end up with something that is only a little bit more than a glorified stompbox(not to bring insult to the glory that real Stompboxes deserve).  It's the old MBA principle.  

IMHO, experimentation is what it's all about.  

As an aside...since I have already drifted to guitar synth.  My old photon from the early 90s in many respects has more capablity than roland's GR-50, GR-33 and GR-1.  Maybe someday I'll try the Axon. hmmm...

truce11

most don't like line6 or the like because we DIYers can't modify it.  Patent issues....

puretube

no problem doing great mods on the line s*x for yourself...

BTW: welcome to the forum!

BD13UK

I've had a Pod, also tried the Yamaha DG Stomp, Vox Tone lab and the Behringer V amp, I thought much like the Line 6 amps that they were ok at home but in a live situation I found them to be somwhat lacking especially the Line 6 amps, can't compete with a decent valve amp for volume plus the more you crank them the less they sound like what it says in the manual Vox Fender Marshall etc, they do a reasonable job at home for recording etc but theres a long way to go before any of this type of amplification catches up with valve amps IMHO.
Brian

GreenEye

I use a Line 6 Flextone I head live - it's great.  Loud, and plenty of programmable sounds.  Can people in the audience tell it's not powered by tubes?  I really doubt it.  People have said they like my tone several times.  It also does a great job of direct recording, but not as good as a mic-ed tube amp.

For a more real tube sound at home, I run through small tube amps and stompboxes.

I tried a Johnson head and it really sucked - when turned up, it sounded like total crap - noisy, fake, thin, etc.  Maybe with a lot of knob tweaking...

davebungo

My all time favourite guitarist (Buck Dharma - you may have heard of him) uses a Line 6 Pod all the time on and off stage.  He feeds it into a Crate Blue Voodoo or something via the insert return and the power amp adds it's own character.   I say that these are with us to stay and they will only get better with time although perhaps the end result will be a high tech (DSP) low tech (Valve) hybrid.  Personally, I've tried a Pod on stage through a Fender Twin and it sounded like er a Pod through a Fender Twin - not all that inspiring but I wouldn't advise anyone to avoid them just because I don't go for the sound.

I've just bought a Mesa DC5 and I can't say I'm happy with that yet either...

troubledtom

my bass player uses my pod, he likes it.
     - tom

aron

When you need to get a certain sound quickly and with minimum fuss for recording, the POD is so easy to use. I have the version 1, but it works.

Ry

Aron, how often do you use a pod in a track that makes it to the final mixdown?

I like the pod for fast home recording, and even more for quiet practice.   I used it on one song on my last ep and it sounded good, but it seems to be missing a little clarity that I get from a good tube amp.

Ry

Mike Burgundy

I use it at times - to "widen up" a guitar track.
The main sound is the guitarists own, good, amp, maybe 2 mics, but we neither have time or rersources to get more nice stuff in, and I might pull in the POD.
If I know I might be doing this, I stick a DI in the guitarists rig.
I've also warmed up (well... good enough) vocals on rather shabby live recordings.
No, it's not a good tube amp, with speakers and a room. But it's a tool, nonetheless - without getting into all the PC issues.