OT: Cowbell sample needed

Started by gez, May 18, 2004, 06:50:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gez

Can anyone link me to a site with a free cowbell sample? (preferably without reverb).  I used to have some freebie sites in my favourites but they got lost when we had to reinstall all our software.

Apologies for this being totally OT but the only sample I have is useless (synthetic and has reverb).  Couldn't find anything when I googled, but I remember a site out there with percussion hits.
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

puretube

Stone Free (Jimi Hendrix) ?

Mark Hammer

How about "Time has come today" by the Chambers Brothers.  If you can't find the cowbell sample you want in there, then maybe you don't want a cowbell sample.

Funny, I've seen and made cymbal synthesizers, and there are circuits that emulate claves, woodblocks, bongos, and just about any percussion item you can name, but I've never seen a circuit for a cowbell emulator.  Seems to me that it would be a highly damped, lightly ring-modulated oscillator, such that it would sound relatively pitched with a quick decay.

puretube

Hi Mark: I thought of the "Time" bell first, too - it stands alone better than Jimi`s, but IIRC, it`s very "reverby" (...and that`s what makes it sound soo good)  :)

gez

Thanks chaps, but I need something 'royalty free'.  There are sites out there where you can download free samples and I once snagged a set of percussion hits, just can't find the damn site anymore!
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

Nasse

Here are few I found at

http://www.findsounds.com

http://www.germanolins.hpg.ig.com.br/sons/COWBELL.AIF

http://webtent.org/ftp/audio/Wave/cowbell.wav

http://lame.sourceforge.net/download/samples/hihat.wav

If I remember well there is cow included in one
But dunno if these are royalty free, nice search site anyway

Happy sampling
  • SUPPORTER

gez

Actually, that first sample is pretty good.  Thanks Nasse!

runmikeyrun

ala saturday night live...

"I got a fever that can only be cured by MORE COWBELL!"

When playing don't fear the reaper on the local classic rock station here about a month ago they actually played that sample during the song it was hilarious.
Bassist for Foul Spirits
Head tinkerer at Torch Effects
Instagram: @torcheffects

Dislikes: old women

RDV

I like the one with the cow.

RDV

csj

Yeah, BOC in the studio recording "Don't Fear the Reaper" with Christopher Walken as the recording engineer. Will Farrell starts off lightly tapping on the  cowbell and Walken insists that for the song to be a hit it's got to have more cowbell. "I got a fever" he says "and the prescription is more cowbell..." Walken interrupts the session several more times because there's just something not quite right...oh yeah, more cowbell. By the end of the session Farrell's all sweaty and his belly is hanging out below a too short shirt and he's beating so hard on the cowbell that it's the only thing you can really hear in the song.
It was a total crack-up.

Bluesgeetar

Hey Gez.  I have about $1000.00 worth of Sonic Foundry Acid loops CDs of all different types.  I could hunt you up a cow bell on one of my drum loops CDs and email it to ya.  Acid CDs are royalty free and the quality is much better than you'll get from a free site.

gez

Quote from: BluesgeetarHey Gez.  I have about $1000.00 worth of Sonic Foundry Acid loops CDs of all different types.  I could hunt you up a cow bell on one of my drum loops CDs and email it to ya.  Acid CDs are royalty free and the quality is much better than you'll get from a free site.

Another kind forumite has already sent me a sample, but the more the merrier!  My email address is gezpatonATmsn.com (replace AT with @).

Thanks very much!

Ge_Whiz

Daisy will be pleased.  :twisted:

gez

Not pleased....just mooooved...

Sigh...even I groaned at that one (sorry folks!)