Enclosures...no more Raco!

Started by jimbob, May 19, 2004, 01:43:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimbob

Ive been using those Raco boxes-since im such a cheap ass- but no more! I bought my first Hammond/Eddystone box - the nice aluminum ones. So much easier to drill, no bondo for smooth surfaces ect..It seems for just a few bucks more i can buy these and save time and aggrevation.. Definitely worth it to me! My advice to all newbies--save your time and money and just go to Smallbear or whereever and buy the good enclosures if u wanna make something nice and professional looking
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

bwanasonic

Quote from: jimbobIve been using those Raco boxes-since im such a cheap ass- but no more! I bought my first Hammond/Eddystone box - the nice aluminum ones. So much easier to drill, no bondo for smooth surfaces ect..It seems for just a few bucks more i can buy these and save time and aggrevation.. Definitely worth it to me! My advice to all newbies--save your time and money and just go to Smallbear or whereever and buy the good enclosures if u wanna make something nice and professional looking

God, I could never figure that Raco box thing out. If you are Bondo-ing and sanding your enclosures, you have WAY to much time on your hands. Get a paper route fer crissakes! It's not that much of a stretch to first-class from half-assed now, is it?. Congratulations.

Kerry M

jimbob

NOw that both funny and true! :lol:
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

petemoore

Low profile 5''+ wide/ and ~long enclosures are my choice.
 By cutting offboard connection wires all to length the first time so that the pots all go on one side of the board, I don't have to disconnect wires,  pull pots or jacks to get good access to the bottom of the circuit board.
 The low sides are nice, the iron gets more approach angle choices.
 As much as I like re-tweaking and modding, having a box that facilitates EZ debugging...I can get to the bottom of my boards now with 2 rotations of one screw. :wink:
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Doug H

Quote from: bwanasonic
God, I could never figure that Raco box thing out. If you are Bondo-ing and sanding your enclosures, you have WAY to much time on your hands. Get a paper route fer crissakes! It's not that much of a stretch to first-class from half-assed now, is it?. Congratulations.
Kerry M

I found some smaller RACOs I really like. I don't bondo them or do anything to the punchouts. Once you figure out how to clamp and drill them they are a piece of cake. "Half-assed??" I don't think so...

I love the hammond boxes too, drill like a hot knife through butter, etc... Cramming everything in there and using mini-pots can be a pain (I like 24mm pots because there is a better selection of values).

But it's nice to spend $1/box instead of $8/box too.

Doug

R.G.

QuoteMy advice to all newbies--save your time and money... and buy the good enclosures if u wanna make something nice and professional looking

Sigh... that's what I wrote down about ten years ago in the very first edition of the Guitar Effects FAQ...
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

mattv

Quote from: bwanasonic
It's not that much of a stretch to first-class from half-assed now, is it?.

Kerry M

...nor to class from ass, but it was still more than you could muster. :P

jimbob

RG wrote:
QuotePosted: Wed May 19, 2004 9:58 pm    Post subject:    

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sigh... that's what I wrote down about ten years ago in the very first edition of the Guitar Effects FAQ...

Ive always had to learn the hard way. That explains the solder iron scars from when i first started. :lol:

RDV

I only used one Raco box. It was my first Fuzz Face clone(Si), and it sounded great though people took umbridge about it's looks! Drilling them being hard as hell is why I never did it again, I could care less how anything looks. You should see my knackered Marsnall(broken h) & Peavey cab, or me for that matter!

RDV

jimbob

I had problems with the drilling too. Very hard! Plus accidentally punching a hole through while drilling.

ExpAnonColin

4ms and troubled variance don't seem to mind them, and I consider them both to be some of the more experienced DIYers out there.

-Colin

Hal

I love raco boxes!  I sometimes use switch boxes instead of junction boxes, cuz they're a bit larger....but I love the ghetto look to them :-D  

And the price is really nice...a couple bux more adds up!

aron

Quote from: R.G.

Well, I listened!  :wink: