Troubleshooting first build

Started by gein, May 19, 2004, 12:46:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gein

I recently attempted building the Orabge Squeezer from the tonepade site.  I etched my own board and soldered everything in place and seemed clean and like it should work.  I also added the millenium bypass.  Upon turning the pluging in to test the unit, I found that bypass worked but when the effect was switched on, the LED lit up, but no effect.  the starange thing is when i unplug the battery, i get a clean signal, whether the effect is engaged or not.  I check my board for shorts and everything in the right place.  And yes i made sure my battery was still good.

PLEASE LET ME KNOW if you guys have any suggestions as to where trouble shoot this.  This is my first attempt at this so I am not that knowledgeable with it yet.

THANKS

petemoore

One thing at a time I always sezz...
 But you can probably tell if the bypass is working in circuit using regular debugging techniques, A probe, Signal injector etc. V measurements.
 I do like to test effects boards alone, with no sw's or jacks...
 One thing I like to do first, is test for continuity between the battery clip + and - [check for a short in V supply].
 Then I clip one DMM lead to battery clip ground, and using the schematic, see that ground is made where i'ts called for [doesn't hurt to check also to see that it is NOT where it's not called for, but first:]...
 ...test the Pin voltages on every lead of the active components.
 See if the Jfet voltage recommendations to shoot for are posted somewhere for that unit [GGG?].
 Or post the Voltage readings here and I can probably tell if there's a biasing issue with the OA, the Jfets in this case...I got mine reading close to recommended voltages, but had to do 'some re-orienting and found a wiring error there. The arrow threw me, and IIRC I had that connected to GNd, not V+...
 Hope this helps !
Convention creates following, following creates convention.