Pedal Dreams Do Come True

Started by Marcus Dahl, May 19, 2004, 03:16:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcus Dahl

I just did a custom pedal for a customer with chicken head knobs and a beautiful black cherry paint job. The color changes from cherry to black cherry depending on the lighting. I just wanted to share my excitment with those who appriciate such things.

http://homebrewelectronics.tripod.com/HomeBrew/TPSpecial.html

Proof that if you follow painting directions, you can spray paint anything pretty.
Marcus Dahl

AL

Nice job. Those white knobs look really good with the dark paint.

AL

Doug H

Looks really pretty, Marcus. :D  Nice job!

I like your "no label" policy. What a great marketing ploy! "What is that? Where'd you get it?".... :D

Doug

phillip

I like that!  What type of paint are you using?

Phillip

Marcus Dahl

Quote from: phillipI like that!  What type of paint are you using?

Phillip
Thanks guys!!!!

I'm using Duplicolor in the spray cans. I used 2 different colors to make the effect. Duplicolor Cherry and Duplicolor Chrystler Black Cherry. I alternated coats, and did 4 coats of each before putting 4 coats of clear coat and then wet sanded using 2000 grit and put another 4 coats on.

The no labels idea was stolen from Tom. I figured if I was going to put that much time into the finish, it didn't need any sticken labels.  :D
Marcus Dahl

cd

Nice, though the stomp switch looks to be too close to the knobs.  Easy for a boot clad foot to muff up a setting.

Marcus Dahl

Quote from: cdNice, though the stomp switch looks to be too close to the knobs.  Easy for a boot clad foot to muff up a setting.

I was using a jig that was made for a different pedal to save a little time. I don't think this person will have any problems with it. Spacing for that many chicken head knobs does pose some problems with layouts.
Marcus Dahl

aron

phillip

How do you rubberize the back plate of the enclosure?  Sure seems like a good alternative to the little stick-on rubber feet!

Phillip

aaronkessman

i love the paint effect. I did a similar thing once with green and black. gave a cool irridescent effect. just alternating very thin layers and a gloss coat.

Marcus Dahl

Quote from: phillipHow do you rubberize the back plate of the enclosure?  Sure seems like a good alternative to the little stick-on rubber feet!

Phillip
There is a company that does liquid ruber. I guess that is the brand name. They sell it in a spray can too. You can get it at Lowes or Home Depot. It's very easy. Just like painting. Make sure the area is sanded and clean. Spray on a layer. Let it sit for 30min., and do it again. Up to about 4 layers. Make sure you do it in a well ventilated area. This stuff smells stronger than paint fumes. It comes in black, whit, red, blue, yellow, and clear.
Marcus Dahl

Marcus Dahl

Quote from: aaronkessmani love the paint effect. I did a similar thing once with green and black. gave a cool irridescent effect. just alternating very thin layers and a gloss coat.

I got the idea from watching the Discovery Channel. Watching all of those shows on bikes and cars paid off.
Marcus Dahl

jimbob

Nice job! I do the same with my painting. Ill eventually post pics. 8)
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"