help with tube sockets.

Started by sir_modulus, May 19, 2004, 08:32:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sir_modulus

I'm doing a chandler tube drive circuit, and getting tube sockets is not an option for me (i need this done soon and can't find any). The circcuit runs off of 12V and is starving the tubes, and i'm using two 12AV6's in place of an 12AX7A, so each tube will only output a tiny amount of heat. Any one have ideas for making sockets?

LM250+

Gringo

Today i was just thinking about this, since my only tubes come from an old radio, therefor my only sockets...you guess. This sockets have seen better days, no to mention they are attached to the chassis with two rivets. The first i released with a hammer's gentle help came out allright but the second..

If anyone has any ideas,, please share!!! :D
Cut it large, and smash it into place with a hammer.
http://gringo.webhop.net

puretube

you can drill out those rivets...

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Quote from: GringoIf anyone has any ideas,, please share!!! :D

I have a VERY BAD idea, which is to use a radiator hose clamp to hold the tube to the chassis, and solder wires to the pins.
This is a VERY BAD idea because 1. you will crack the tube if you over-tighten, and 2. as you solder to the pins, the wires INSIDE the pins might unsolder themselves.

petemoore

I have Tube sockets, soldered in the PCB.
 With 9 pins, removing them is somewhat labor intensive...going round and loosening again and again, each round of melting/pulling raising the socket only about 1/64''.
 Anyway, for the one, I decided since it is already in a PCB, why not just leave it in there, and use the traces/pads/holes to make the connections, pull the original components, and replace them with what the schematic calls for.
 Clamping the bare PCB mounted [soldered out]  socket with a Hose clamp...seems ok, but I think something to shim it up off the frame would be good.
 The tube probley doesn't get that hot but, so you could use some gasket material to pad between the tube and the clamp.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

petemoore

If you could find the right shaped 'spring mount' and screw that to the frame, it would be a one step mounting method...think like Mic Clip tech. or sprung metal battery holder.
 Second thought I like the Clamp better...with the 'floating' wires to connect the pins, firm mounting is recommendable.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Paul Marossy

IMO, just buy a couple of tube sockets. You can get them from hoffmanamps.com for a couple of bucks a piece. He sends them Priority Mail, and they usually arrive in two to three days.

You could solder directly to the pins, but as Mr. Perry stated, it's a bad, bad idea. The only other possibility would be to use some kind of slip-on wire terminal on the end of the wires which could fit over the pins being used. But, there is the possibility of the wires shorting eachother out... I would just get a real tube socket if it were me.

pete: desoldering braid works well for removing those PCB Mounted tube sockets...

Gringo

It's not my intention to sound harsh or mean, but if i could get/buy tubes/sockets, i woudn't be using scavenged parts from an old radio, would I? :)

I have checked every place in the city i live with no luck. I know there are a lot of great places to buy online, but as i don't have a credit card, and i'm running on a tight budget, i have two choices: Do nothing, or "find a way".

The "slip-on wire terminal" idea sounds good, with good insulation between pins, that is ;)

Paul Marossy

Ansil

they make a little stereo end piece that is crimpable u slide two wires in there and crimp them together inline..

<br>------------{ the two wires join in here  }-------------------<br>

anyway you can get them in different sizes u crimp the side that has your wire in it and slide the other side onto the tube pins..

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

I don't know if there anr any really OLD tv sets left in Argentina, but if so, they usually have a LOT of tube sockets in them. Maybe you could ask a scrap or secondhand dealer to keep an eye out.

Gringo

Quote from: Paul Perry (Frostwave)I don't know if there anr any really OLD tv sets left in Argentina, but if so, they usually have a LOT of tube sockets in them. Maybe you could ask a scrap or secondhand dealer to keep an eye out.

I've been looking for old tube stuff for a long time now, but it's kind of rare, at least here. I've asked all my friends and relatives for old tvs, radios, turntables, they give me funny looks but who cares  :twisted:

Ansil, i't took me a while to picture what where you talking about, but finally got it :) I'll check it out on the next trip to the store (next month ;)).

seventeenth harmonic

might I suggest wire-ties (nylon) as opposed to hose clamps for holding the tube to the chassis...should be a little less pressure sensitive.

gary