Wiring an SP3T on-on-on swith...how exactly ?

Started by Phorhas, May 21, 2004, 08:39:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phorhas

Hello...
How do I wire these toggle SP3T ON-ON-ON switches? I belive it's differant from spdt toggle switches (obviously) but I never encountered them until now... so how do I wire them for seperate on-on-on ?

Electron Pusher

yano

how many leads are there? all i can see in that picture is 3, which would lead me to believe that it is in fact an SPDT switch, the center lug would be the one that gets connected to the two outer ones depending on the switch position

Phorhas

there are indeed 3 lug, but the switch has 3 position and has on-on-on engraved on the casing (wich is blue... just to let you know LOL :) )

so I think it is an SP3T, but I don't know how to wire it
Electron Pusher

zener

Quote from: yanohow many leads are there? all i can see in that picture is 3, which would lead me to believe that it is in fact an SPDT switch, the center lug would be the one that gets connected to the two outer ones depending on the switch position

I agree. For it to be a SP3T, it must have 4 lugs. Another thing to check, the toggle should move from three positions.
Oh yeah!

R.G.

I believe you have a SPST center-on switch. I think the center position has the center lug connected to both outer throws. Unusual, but possible.

On/off/on SPST switches are much more common. In these, the center position leaves the pole open, not connected to either throw.

There's an easy way to figure out any switch. Get out your ohmmeter, make up a drawing and figure out what connects to what in every single switch position.

Don't have an ohmmeter? You can't do anything except paint-by-number effects making without some kind of volt-ohm-meter. Get one.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Phorhas

Yeah, I have one... don't know what I'd do with out one... most important piece of equipment I have next to my soldering Iron...

and I guess it's tesing time again...
Electron Pusher