OT: simple tube amp on a wallwart -> schematic inside!

Started by slajeune, May 21, 2004, 10:38:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gf

Wow !, this looks great !

Would you put a clip of it ?, I really want to know how it sounds.

Also, what do you think about using the geofex trick to get more voltage from a battery (up to 33v) in your amp, this way you'll still using the wallwart power supply.

Thanks for sharing !

slajeune

Hi gf,

I will post clips sometime this week.  The voltage doubler is great, I'm just not sure it can supply the amount of ma required for these tubes.  Some of them actually pull a lot of ma's from either grids, plates or both!

I am investigating other means of making the amp louder before moving to higher voltage.  If I move to higher voltage (somewhere close to 24V for plate), I will probably use a transformer as it is easier to build with a transformer.  One would be able to do the same thing with a 24V wallwart and 2 voltage regulators (7812 and 7824).

Cheers,
Stephane.

cove

i was starting to get the parts to build the ruby tuby amp but just saw this design. which would you build ?

slajeune

Hi Cove,

well, if you can wait a few days, I'll put sound clips and you can better judge for yourself.  But, here is something that might help you decide.  If you are looking for a lot of distortion, go with the ruby tuby.  If you're looking for an all tube build with a slight crunch, go with the low volume tube amp.  The ruby tuby is a bit louder (because of the LM386).  I like the feel of the low volume tube amp because it just sounds great!  It's easier for me to change the sound of the low volume tube amp if I don't like it.  With the ruby tuby, all of the opamps also act as some sort of filter and it is harder for me to find the right values for all of the caps to get the sound that I'm looking for.

Anyways, both should be fun builds!

Cheers,
Steph.

chipmcdonald

Sorry for resurrecting an ancient post, but all searches seem to lead to this thread....

I am wondering if I built just the output stage of a 12r5/Hammond 125/12v supply (ala this schematic http://www.sophtamps.ca/schematics/sopht_12k5-v6.jpg), minus the input tube stages - would a cranked B.K. Butler Tube Driver work as a front end, or something similar?

TAOT