New at runoffgroove.com: The English Channel

Started by B Tremblay, May 27, 2004, 12:09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tcobretti

I ran mine thru my pal's JCM900 and it didn't sound good.  As RDV suspected, the trebly amp and trebly pedal was a bad combination.

Is that how you spell trebly?

Is trebly a word?

keko

the JCM900 trebly?!?!?! :shock:

man, maybe it's time to take that beast apart. Mine is far from trebly....I mean, the valvestate 8080 was trebly, a Fender is trebly...
.::keko::.
www.qpd.cl // desahógate ahora!
www.basa.cl // Digital « Design » Atelier

RDV

Mine was trebley from the day I got it. Mine has EL34s in it, maybe the 5881 version is less trebley, I don't know?

RDV

tcobretti

Maybe bright would be a better word than trebley (I'm going with the RDV spelling; it just looks better).  The JCM 800/900 are designed to be bright modern sounding hi-gain amps.  They have a certain fatness to them, but there's a healthy amount of bite as well.

Frankly, they've always had too much bite for my taste, but they are THE amp for certain styles of music.

tcobretti

By the way, have you JCM900 guys seen this?

http://www.treblebooster.com/yellowjackets.htm

Turn your amp into class A at will!  No assembly required!

RDV

Quote from: tcobrettiBy the way, have you JCM900 guys seen this?
http://www.treblebooster.com/yellowjackets.htm
Turn your amp into class A at will!  No assembly required!
That would be cool for a 100 watter, but my 50 watt would be a smooth 15 watts then.

RDV

tcobretti

Very true.  Might be cool in the studio, though.

RDV

Quote from: RDVI thought I would give my impression of this little buggeroo. I tried my English Channel through a big amp for the 1st time last night. I used it at a rehearsal with my old dull sounding 84' Peavey Bandit 65. It really sounded wonderful, so nice and bright and tubey sounding. I don't know if it'll work with my JCM900( I guessing that it may be too bright) but it's definitely found a home with my rehearsal rig! I ran my HMP into it for high-gain leads and it was downright psychodelic! I would recommend this one to anyone looking to brighten up a dull sounding SS amp. I'm tempted to gig with this and my old Bandit it sounded so good!
I'm answering my own post. I now know how well it works with my JCM900. The English Channel into my Marshall is now my main guitar sound. It cleans up so well and is so dynamic, it's almost too good!  

Yeah, I'm leaving it on all the time and using another distortion(like my HMP or the BSIAB2) to bump it up 4 leads. The clarity is outrageous! To those who think they don't like it, Q5 is hard to dial in, take your time.

I'm leaving it on with the gain at about 1:00 and turning down the guitar for a clean sound that's straight out of "A Hard Day's Night", then turned up on the guitar and it's Rory Gallagher city! Add a fuzzstortion(like my HMP or the BSIAB2) and then you've got Brian May.

WOW.

RDV

Lonestarjohnny

Lot'sa fun to be had with the Jfet's, mine is the Fetzer to give my old Peavey some tone and a little more bump in the Getalong and the
Professor or Supreaux for my more Bluesier tone.
Kick's Booty.    :D  :D  :D
Johnny

hair force one

and what happens if you put to cab emulators in a row with gain set high? a super distortion box?

Lonestarjohnny

I have no need to do that, I have'nt tried because of the great tone i'm getting with my L.P's, these pedal's work really well with just a booster in front of them, like the 18 I built has enough gain to do all but Heavey Metal wich I have never yearned to play, But some of these could possibly be used as a building block to do such,
Johnny