It was 35 years ago today.....

Started by Mark Hammer, May 28, 2004, 01:40:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Hammer

....that Sgt. Pepper used this gear to play.

I just posted a playful file over at http://hammer.ampage.org

I stumbled upon an old issue of "Downbeat" magazine from June of 1969 recently, and got a chuckle out of the ads, most of them for amplifiers.  I figured I'd scan and post them.  How proud Fender was of those solid-state units!  How loudly Kustom proclaimed the virtues of tantalum capacitors!  There was power in them flowers, baby!!

Included in the largish (2.9M) zipfile is an ad from that issue which is one of the earliest Electro-Harmonix ads I have in my possession.  I seem to recall earlier sparser ads than this one, but most of you have probably never seen ads (and prices!) from that era.  An LPB-1 listed for $14.95.

A trip back in time.  Nice cover shot of Mike Bloomfield too.

Enjoy.

Doug H

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access to this document on this server.

Apache Server at ampage.org

Mark Hammer

Yeesh!!! You are correct.  Not sure what happened, since all the other files load nicely.  I'll look into it.

Mark Hammer

Peter Snowberg

That's totally groovey Mark! :D

Thanks for posting it! 8)

Take care,
-Peter
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

Hal

cool!

Look at the fender one...I love how they boast "Sold State" as a feature!  So great!

BILLYL

Really Great!!!!!!
I didn't know that there was a LAWRENCE amp with a Life time warranty -

COOL

BILL LAWRENCE

Fret Wire

Quote from: BILLYLCOOL

BILL LAWRENCE

Are you the Bill Lawrence? If so, nice to meet you 8) I've read your posts, and always found them to be very informative. Here's an official welcome from me :D  (I'm nobody lol) Never too old to be a little star struck, lol.

BTW, Brian Wenz, you could tell me Lord Sutch and Ritchie Blackmore stories all day, and I'd never get tired 8)

Pete
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

DaveTV

Shhhh....I'm busy digging on the big Ace Tone catalog...mindblowing! Say, could anybody tout me on where to find the nearest Ace Tone dealer?

Yeah, man! Send me a catalog while I'm still picking up on the colors!

Doug H

Great stuff, Mark.

I especially love "The Exterminator".

250 watts of "screaming treble that is almost unreal".

Man, I need one of those! :D

Doug

RDV

I've played through one of those Standel amps. They were one of the better SS amps out there.

Regards

RDV

snorky

What model Hofner is that guitar in the Ace Tone catalog??

Thanks for posting those!  :-)

- Mark
Elephants are the new skulls.

RDV

Quote from: snorkyWhat model Hofner is that guitar in the Ace Tone catalog??
This one maybe?

1961 HOFNER V3 SOLID GUITAR

Regards

RDV

snorky

That's close, but the ad guitar has 3 tuners/side.
Elephants are the new skulls.

StephenGiles

Sorry chaps but don't get too excited about the that guitar - they were awful, believe me!
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

lvs

Hehe, nice memories. I still have a Kustom 250 made in Chanute... over the years it has begun to snapcracklepop a bit but still a cool machine.  I used to have a LPB1 also.