so whos got useable tones from their uglyface?

Started by lightningfingers, May 29, 2004, 04:02:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lightningfingers

anyone got any useable tones they wanna share with me?
i cant work mine at all, (i know its working ok and its SUPPOSED to sound broken :lol: ) and the LED lights up, but im having trouble getting the sounds i hear in the sound clips, particularly that horribly nasal wah sound.

cheers :mrgreen:
U N D E F I N E D

lightningfingers

U N D E F I N E D

petemoore

Nothing usable....lol...but I 'use the unusable' ! ! !
 Mine provides mainly unruly, wacky and wild tones, or sounds...I guess it's not what I'd 'use' regularly...
 I just 'Grabbed' an LDR, and used  regular RS 555 and 386, It sounds similar, but not exactly like the sound clips.
 Try a 'better' LDR [with wider specs of resistance from light to dark], CMOS 555 IIRC was a recommendation...mine seems to work with the first available LDR/555 I found.
 There are other chips with better' specs for output than 386, but I don't know that this would matter or not in this circtuit.
 Just because I'd consider something usable...doesn't mean anyone else would...I would use the U.face for a cameo lead, most likely, but not for a rythm backing tone...course you never really know.
 I would suggest just working the circtuit [any circuit] up as best as you can, then deciding for yourself if you like it or not.
 That said: Thanks for a Wild Wacky Circuits ! ! ! to anyone who draws one up...I hope others can appreciate them as much as I do.
 It IS very easy to construe, misinterpret typed words with no tone of voice accompanying them, please excuse my typing skills, if they illicit a negative vibe to your parade...I'm trying to filter any negativity I have, from making it the more permanent state of having been typed. I read iyou question as a loaded question and chose not to respond, for that reason the first round...I could be totally wrong.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Rodgre

I love this circuit. I've used it on quite a few tracks in the studio and I'm in the process of building one up to put on my live pedalboard.

For me, it's very usable. It's an effect. It's not like an overdrive or a delay where i can get away with using it for song after song. It's brilliant for sections of songs.

As a matter of fact, I even think I hear it being used in a commercial that I've been hearing lately. Could be a distortion and a filter, but sounds like an Uglyface to me

Roger

strungout

Well, I took mine off the board, but if I remember corectly, the wah wasn't as good as the clip (with a homemade vactrol). You get the divebomb effect by letting the oscillator run and pick a string you mute with the other hand. Some of the sounds were made by turning the freq pot (would be great to replace it by an expression pedal. I never found out how to make that "explosion" into a chord tho (in the clip it sounds like the signal "explodes thru the threshold, i dunno how else to explain it).
Hmm forgot to add that it's really only usable for unusual, momentary break in a song, or if you play some rage against the machine style stuff ;)
"Displaying my ignorance for the whole world to teach".

"Taste can be acquired, like knowledge. What you find bitter, or can't understand, now, you might appreciate later. If you keep trying".

sir_modulus

Nope no useable ones to me. If you don't like it build the multiface at ruffongroove.com

nightingale

i got some decent fuzz tones with one on a breadboard~
then i did recorded an acoustic track on an old 4 track.. and layed a ugly face track on top.. through an echoplex.. i didn't even have my guitar plugged into the ugly face.. i just was tapping my finger on the tip of a connected input patch, and me and a friend twisted the pots around..
be well,
ryanS
www.moccasinmusic.com

sir_modulus

Hey, thats pretty cool. Some effects would sound wicked like that (Oberheim, Bluebox, Ring mods, whatever) Thats really unique.

petemoore

By turning the knobs, and especially the threshold knob, many very standout as different, very novel tones can be found in the circuit, if it's working properly IMO.
 I particularly like the way mine does a 'Space Invaders Wave Dive", just after the Super Fuzz Voiced chirp attack. I've never heard anything like it...and with some interesting timing intervals, ie only letting the oscillater 'win' in the threshold contest after some more ['regular ultra wild whatzit gonna do next] playing...and a few 1/4 measure oscillation drops over say an octave or two, with the pick attack marking the beginning of the 'cycle' at varying points just before or after TDC [top dead center]...it can make quite an aggressive statement !!!
 Wild, Unruly, Novel, I envision the the third degree of stackizm, as depicted in "I believe in a thing called love" [A three story high, five office wide stack of Marshalls, ....set up just in front of the Chernobyl Nuclear Reactor Core  :evil: ...the signal pulled from the intent of the player to the Chaotic fluxes of Electron discharges, caught by the Electronic components of the signal chain, and the player.
 So other than the plasma arc, the Env. Filter type tones, the actually very thick and decent tracking Octave Down, and the 'knob theremin' possibilities, there any mans interpretation of application which could be found in the Uglyface...Let the name be a warning..."It's Not Pretty" in there.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

bwanasonic

I bet you could have some fun running a drum machine through the UF. Another thing to keep in mind, since it is an envelope controlled deal, is that what you hit the input with will make a big difference in how the pedal responds. Either too weak or too strong a signal and you won't get the full range of control.  I have yet build the UF, for the very reason that I doubted it's overall utility. But now that I have stable of *utility* pedals, it's on to *special FX*.

Kerry M

Ansil

inever completed my actual ugly face as i have had way to much fun with the 555. but i  have built somethign similar in design to it and using the pin four also to reset at the guitars freq range whcih i am assuming issome sort of tracking.

anyway long story short. i found that if i just built the 555part and left the input blank i could try finding what pedal would drive it nicely.