Happy birthday Maplin

Started by gez, June 03, 2004, 01:06:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

punkaled

Maplin used to sell boxes especially made for guitar effects, a slanted box, and a wah-wah box, great, apart from the fact they where made out of flimsy plastic  :? Not ideal really.

lightningfingers

Some of their boxes are really good for effects. Just don't buy the sheet metal ones (or if you do don't use a stompswitch). I put my bazz fuss in one of those with a stompswitch, stomped on it a few times and it folded up like  paper :lol:
U N D E F I N E D

Ge_Whiz

QuoteSome of their boxes are really good for effects.

Aluminium diecast box (about the smallest you can use for effects):

Maplin: 108 x 58 x 27 mm  Â£5.99
Rapid:  112 x 62 x 31 mm  Â£4.52

(Actually, there's a cheaper Rapid one but I couldn't find it in a hurry in their web catalogue.)

gez

Quote from: Ge_WhizRapid:  112 x 62 x 31 mm  Â£4.52

I'll take your Rapid and raise you an ESR! (£4.18 for the same dimensions)  :)

Advert is a bit old though so prices may have changed slightly.
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

lightningfingers

well I never said they were cheap..... :wink:
U N D E F I N E D

Ge_Whiz

Hey Gez, you're getting off-topic here. This is the "hammer Maplin" thread, not the "let's be nice about their rivals" thread.  :D

gez

Quote from: Ge_WhizHey Gez, you're getting off-topic here. This is the "hammer Maplin" thread, not the "let's be nice about their rivals" thread.

Just trying to do my bit for D-M-Day (Downfall of Maplin)

We...shall fight them on the die-cast aluminium boxes...etc
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

smoguzbenjamin

Hmmm I could hang up a few sings... make a website... We could be a real no-more-maplin-clan :mrgreen:

But remember when *you* were a newb, and you thought it was wierd that your brand spanking new LED fried when you juiced it with a new 9v battery ;) lol
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

gez

Quote from: smoguzbenjaminBut remember when *you* were a newb, and you thought it was wierd that your brand spanking new LED fried when you juiced it with a new 9v battery

At the risk of sounding like a smug b*stard...ah, what the hell, I'm a smug b*stard, when I 'graduated' from guitar electronics and decided to get into the stompbox side of things I spent well over 6 months reading up on the basics before I went anywhere near a breadboard, so those sort of things just didn't happen.  Having said that, the reason I decided to get into Stompbox building and to understand how it all worked was because I fried three transformers in a row trying to convert a LPB to mains.  :D

The irony is I fry more stuff nowadays than I ever did as a newb (complacent and I don't concentrate enough), though my overall count is still pretty low.

The way I feel about Maplin, and I'm being honest here, is that they're a necessary evil.  For me it's convenient and cheaper to use them for a handful of things and I just have to put up with all the incompetency etc  (though it does make me laugh now and again, hence this thread).

smoguzbenjamin

Haha, I've got to agree with you Gez. I fry stuff all the time :mrgreen: haha. I didn't read up on the basics really, I plunged straight in without half the tools I needed and went from there - looks like I'm doing allright for myself now... digital soldering station... :mrgreen: but yeah I have to admit I fried an octal buffer 2 days agao with 9v while the datasheet clearly stated 6v MAX :mrgreen:
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.