Thunderchief V 1.0 --V 1.1????--Soundclip

Started by Eddie, June 03, 2004, 05:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie

What do the thunderchief version changes do soundwise?

Th input resistor is now "half-sized" (--more gain?), the coupling cap is smaller (--less bass?) and two resistors (below Q3) are changed.

I would like to get less gain without changing the J201(MPF102 are not available in Europe..)
Thanks for your help !
Thanks to ROG for their great emulators! :wink:

Eddie

gunther

Hi Eddie,

i asked Gary some time ago and got the following answer:

The reason for updating the Thunderchief was to polish the sound a little
bit.  They are not drastic changes, so do not be concerned you are missing
anything important.  If you have the older version, it is very much the
same and you can update the older version very easily.

We increased the first stage coupling cap from 2n2 to 22n.  That was to add more thickness to the sound.  Some older Marshalls had this, so we have not departed from the original goal.

We also made the output capacitor 15n, which closer approximates the
response of an old Celestion speaker.

All these changes really only help to focus the sound a bit more.  If you
have the older Thunderchief, consider updating to the latest version if you
feel you'd like a little more mid-range and a little less bass at high gain
settings.

------
I have build two thunderchiefs, one is 1.1. Some Guy in Germany mentioned that the 1.0 has not enough bass, so I went on with the 22n for the first coupling cap. Output Cap 15n is not so different from 22n, think of some fine-tuning.
I played a little with the NFB Cap (2n2) behind the output cap and for my Ears ist sounds more open with 2n2 than with larger values.

The second thunderchief has got 1k and 220uF at the source of the first Fet according to the normal channel of the Marshall. Sounds much fuller, but I would not use it for High Gain.

The J201 I brought from Banzai. Some Guys mentioned that at the 3rd Stage other Fets didn´t work - also I have heard that the J201 sounds a bit rounder than other Fets.
I use only trimpots for Gain, I think if you want less Gain with a normal Pot you should add a timpot before.

Best regards
Günther

Eddie

Thanks (Danke!) Gunther!
Btw I ordered the Fets from Banzai too!
I will try this changes!
I removed the last Low Pass Filters,an used a 450 uF cap as the first bypass cap and went straight in the poweramp!

I have a little Thunderchief clip online at Vhfans.com, the best guitar/Backingtrack site on the net!

http://www.guitars101.com/boards/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/53575/page/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1#Post53726

You have the register there.(believe me its worth a try!best backingtracks!)

Eddie