Transistor readings

Started by Danny G, June 04, 2004, 09:51:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danny G

I just got a little multimeter from Radi shack for $20.  Not sure how to use it, still learning.

How do I get readings for Transistors with it?  Or can I?
Howz about capacitors?

I figured out resistors myself--the instructions don't really help.

Arn C.

I bought a BK Precision 815 from MCM Electronics, can't find the catalog right now so I can't tell you the cost.  It can check caps, resistors, and transistors.  It also gives you the Hfe(Gain?)
Peace!
Arn C.

smoguzbenjamin

You read transistors with Hfe as at least one indicator of its gain. It should have a Hfe socket/mode and have it labelled "NPN" and "PNP" with sockets for C, B, and E.

Caps, well that depends. Some meters have a capacitance meter, some don't. Mine doesn't :) A cap should have its value stamped on it though.
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

Eric H

Quote from: Danny GI just got a little multimeter from Radi shack for $20.  Not sure how to use it, still learning.

How do I get readings for Transistors with it?  Or can I?
Howz about capacitors?

I figured out resistors myself--the instructions don't really help.
Danny, I've been working with electronics for a long time and still don't have a meter with those extra functions. As smog pointed out, capacitors are marked, and when you REALLY need to know the HFE of transistors there are more accurate ways to do it with the meter you have (at GEO --for example).
Check the links at the top of the page, and do a web-search, and ypo'll find plenty of user info for that meter.

-Eric
" I've had it with cheap cables..."
--DougH