Stupid question, slightly OT tubes

Started by Rory, June 04, 2004, 07:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rory

Ok, I just ordered some ceramic chasis mount 9-pin tube sockets from Torres.  Never used this type before.  How in the hell do you mount these things???  The only way I can think of makes absolutely no sense at all, which is to screw the bottom of the metal retainer to the chasis with the ceramic part underneath (which is about 1/2" above the chasis) and then put the upper part of the retainer on.  I would think that the lower part of the retainer would allow the ceramic part to fit inside of it... I don't know man...
Any help would be appreciated,
Rory

Paul Marossy

I believe that the socket should go thru the hole and the clip would go on the opposite side of the chassis. Check out this pic:

The parts on the left are sitting just like the parts should be installed - the clip would go over the pins. I haven't actually installed this type of tube socket, but it appears to me that this is how it should work.

Any second opinions?

Lonestarjohnny

Looking at your picture on the Right, see how the tip of the socket is smaller than the center, that's the tip of the tube socket that is gonna stick up out of your chassie, see the center of the socket its fatter, that part is gonna be held to the inside of your chassie by the retaining ring, the slot's on the side of your tube socket are to let the retaining screw's pass by the socket from the outside of your chassie, now make sure you make your hole the size of the first part of the socket, both retaining ring and socket go in from inside of your chassie, go to a web site like Thunder chief amps and look at some plexie chassie's there, you should be able to look at a schematic and also tell which way you want the guide slot of your tube pointed so that your wire's will be ran to the tube socket properly and this will tell you where your retaining screw's should be drilled for thier hole's through the chassie also.
when building a tube amp that you want to run quitely you need to look at tha way a Fender amp or Marshall has thier wires layed out and pay close attention to you star ground pattern,
JD

Paul Marossy

Yeah, as I found out on my Spitfire clone, how you ground things is very, very, very important! If you're building a tube amp, check out the advanced topics under "Tech Info" at http://www.aikenamps.com/

That will help you with how to properly ground your amp, as well as the star grounding write up at GEO.

Rory

Thanks for the replies!  After looking at what you guys said, and taking another look at it I've got it figured out (and this is after a few drinks! [FYI, NOT WORKING ON AMPS DRUNK!]).  Thanks again,
Rory

Paul Marossy