Transformer part #'s?

Started by petemoore, June 05, 2004, 12:10:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petemoore

Can someone recommend a transformer part # from Mouser?
 I don't know how many or of what types to get to start wiring up a tube amp.
 Knowing little about transformers or transformer ordering, and having made mis-orders in the past, I'm hoping you can help me get started.
 I have some EL34's on the counter. I Would consider buying different tubes for a simple first build.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Lonestarjohnny

what kind of amp are you wanting to build ? if somethin like a marshall I don't think mouser would be a good place to look unless you were looking to do somethin ultralinier.
I would shop around for some old Drake's or go to the AX84 site and check some of the EL 34 builds over there, they list the tranny's and parts they are useing for thier build's,
JD

petemoore

Wiped out reading at GEO and Ampage links.
 Really hot/cool amp pages there !!!
 Actually I'm thinking of starting with something small, in the order of 2w or less, [loud enough for competing with an accoustic guitar and non mic'd singing] still trying to from opinions and gain background, but also just about ready to start trying one.
 Something that is be clean, but responds well to Fuzzboxes etc., Tone, Finances and ease of build...in that order.
 I don't know how ez it would be to build using EL84's but I have at least two of them.

csj

I hate to recommend this guy because he's such a creep...but his transformer prices are good...

Here it goes...

Steve at Angela ...

yuck... that tasted bad.

Anyway... for an EL34 build I've gone with the Hammond 272JX PT and the 1645 OT. Save yourself the hassle of dealing with transformer snobs and Heyboers and Drakes and EMC and Shinrocks and whatever. These Hammonds will give you way more than you'd expect. They kick serious a$$... for the money they can't be beat.

Clay

Peter Snowberg

The last time I did comparison shopping for transformers, http://www.angela.com had the best deals and a great selection of Hammond parts at least.

I would look at places that are selling replacement transformers and see if you can find something made for four EL84s if you don't see one that suits your fancy for two EL34s. AFAIK, EL34 = 2*EL84. :D

Take care,
-Peter
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

Eric H

Quote from: petemooreWiped out reading at GEO and Ampage links.
 Really hot/cool amp pages there !!!
 Actually I'm thinking of starting with something small, in the order of 2w or less, [loud enough for competing with an accoustic guitar and non mic'd singing] still trying to from opinions and gain background, but also just about ready to start trying one.
 Something that is be clean, but responds well to Fuzzboxes etc., Tone, Finances and ease of build...in that order.
 I don't know how ez it would be to build using EL84's but I have at least two of them.

OK pete, my first suggestion is: slow down and figure out what you want to do --building a full tube amp won't be cheap, and , as you mentioned, you don't want to fire off orders to mouser without some thinking.
 The back-to-backtransformer trick RG mentioned is not practical for a tube amp using el34's or el84's. A single el84 is good for 5 watts, or so and will be way too loud for what you describe. The transformers for amps like this will run you anywhere from $80 to $200 (don't forget you need an output transformer too) and you won't find them at mouser.

Take a look at Doug H's Firefly, and see if that looks good --I believe the volume level is about what you want.
http://home.cfl.rr.com/dbhammond/ff.htm
Doug used two transformers he scored at a surplus outlet, but transformers with suitable voltages for tubes aren't that easy to scrounge.

Angela has a Hammond power-transformer that would work great for this:
#269AX, and a suitable output-transformer: the 125c is only $20
http://www.angela.com/catalog/transformers/Hammond_Transformers.html
" I've had it with cheap cables..."
--DougH

petemoore

The Firefly, REV 1 !!!
 Clip sounds really great, I'm going to try building one!
 Is there a parts list for this one?
 IIUC, the Hammond 125C is a good choice for the output transformer[?]
 The other transiformer [step tranny?] for the B+ voltages...what is a good choice for this one?

Eric H

Quote from: petemooreThe Firefly, REV 1 !!!

IIUC, the Hammond 125C is a good choice for the output transformer[?]
It's currently on sale for less than the smaller one Doug used.

Quote from: petemooreThe other transiformer [step tranny?] for the B+ voltages...what is a good choice for this one?
reread my post ;)
" I've had it with cheap cables..."
--DougH

petemoore

I read too fast to comprehend sometimes !!!