true bypass loop box

Started by talking_goat, June 05, 2004, 03:01:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

talking_goat

Can someone help me with a layout for a 3 loop with tuner out true bypass box? I looking for clear wiring diagrams or schematics or something. Im new to this and was going to use it for practice.

talking_goat

john1056

Could you explain a little more about what you want to do?  If you just want to build a box that has a series of sends and returns thats pretty easy.

talking_goat

Quote from: john1056Could you explain a little more about what you want to do?  If you just want to build a box that has a series of sends and returns thats pretty easy.

I basically want to build a loop box that has three sends and returns plus a tuner out thing. I want to be able to select each loop independently, all of them at once of different combinations. Does this make sense? So I'd basically plug guitar in one end, amp in the other and in between have 3 loops and a tuner out.

Peter Snowberg

Do you want the loops to be in parallel with each other so you can blend them, or is loop C in series with loop B and loop A?

If all three loops are off, is the output just unprocessed guitar, or is the output muted?

Take care,
-Peter
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

talking_goat

Quote from: Peter SnowbergDo you want the loops to be in parallel with each other so you can blend them, or is loop C in series with loop B and loop A?

If all three loops are off, is the output just unprocessed guitar, or is the output muted?

Take care,
-Peter

If all three loops are off i would like it to be just straight guitar, no colouring of the signal.

john1056

That's pretty simple, you need 3 DPDT switches, 2 mono jacks (input and output) and 6 mono jacks w/ NC tips (also called a closed jack - Mouser 502-L-12A)

You can get everything you need at Small Bear:

http://www.smallbearelec.com/Ordering/Stocklist.htm

Each stage would be input to the first pole of the DPDT switch.  One side of the switch (the 2 throws) would be connected together (for bypass) just like the picture in the beginner forum.  The other side would go to send and return (tips of the send and return jacks).  The switch lug going to send would be the input pole, the switch lug going to return would be the output pole.  The output of this stage would be the input of the second DPDT switch.  The closed jacks have an extra lug (the NC lug) that is common with the tip when a jack is not plugged in.  You can wire the send and return NC lugs together so that if you don't have anything plugged into the send and return they will act like a bypass regardless of the position of the bypass switch.   Wire all of the gounds together.  If you want an LED for each stage you need to use a 3PDT switch (available for a good price at this site).  Follow the picture in the beginner forum to see how this is done.  I don't think you would need a 9V just to light LEDs, maybe a single AA would work, but I'm not sure.  I'm also not sure if pull down resisters would be a good idea to prevent popping when the loops are turned on and off.

Hope this helps.