1N4148 vs. 1N914

Started by zener, June 05, 2004, 06:59:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zener

Here in my place, whenever I ask the store clerk for 1N914, she would always give 1N4148. She would always say that the two are just the same. But I would believe you guys more than this pretty store clerk.

Also, how much difference is there between the two, if any? Which one will produce more hard clipping or distortion? Can I always have 1N4148 where a schem calls for a 1N914?

Thanks for any help
Oh yeah!

Gilles C

Except for the max forward current that is higher for the 1N4148, the other specs are the same.

http://www.jameco.com/Jameco/Products/ProdDS/179215.pdf

And the circuits I tried, they gave me the same results, to my ears, and on the scope.

Nasse

:D Clerks are sometimes right :D
  • SUPPORTER

zener

Quote from: Nasse:D Clerks are sometimes right :D

Oh... :roll: I though she was just pretty :wink: .
Oh yeah!

petemoore

Now she's "Right / Pretty"?
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

cd

In a guitar effect, it makes no difference.  Heck, in most other circuits, it doesn't make a difference at all either if you design things well.

Hal

the old archer (radio shack) packages say on them
"1n914/1n4148"

:-D

Brian Marshall

and they both clip hard.

brett

Actually, the 1N4148/1N914 has softer clipping than its likely substitute, the 1N4001/4004  (ie diodes around the 700mV for 1mA range).  Compared with Ge diodes, it's a hard clipper and compared with LEDs it's soft.

cheers
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

niftydog

QuoteClerks are sometimes right
Oh...  I though she was just pretty
Now she's "Right / Pretty"?

MARRY HER!  YOU'LL NEVER FIND ANOTHER ATTRACTIVE WOMAN WHO UNDERSTANDS YOUR HOBBY!
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)

zener

Quote from: niftydogMARRY HER!  YOU'LL NEVER FIND ANOTHER ATTRACTIVE WOMAN WHO UNDERSTANDS YOUR HOBBY!

If only she doesn't have a fiance, but I found out just yesterday that she does. :?
I also found out that all clerks there are graduates of a course in Electronics, so chances are, they know what they are talkng about. Before, I use to think that all they know is what written in the label or in the catalogue. I thought she just want to keep on selling by telling me that 1N4148 and 1N914 are the same. Shame on me. :? I can remember, when I was still a week old with this hobby, I declined to buy a 25V electrolytic when they ran out of stock of 16V's. Although she insisted that there would be no difference, customer is king (I took up business in college). She just said and smiled, "Ok, sir. Your bill is $__ for your other orders". How stupid of me :x  :?

Anyway, thanks.
Oh yeah!