Texas Instruments PNP GE

Started by Fret Wire, June 05, 2004, 11:26:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fret Wire

Does anyone have any experience with the TI 182505 pnp Ge transistors? They are a 2N404 eq. The top has the TI logo, then 182505, then 7350 underneath. I'm waiting on a sample batch to arrive and test, and I'm curious if anyone's used or tested them before.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

Ge_Whiz

Don't tell me - your real name is 'Fred Wyer', right?  :mrgreen:

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

I guess they are from here?
http://hometown.aol.co.uk/oldradioparts/semiconductors.htm
(some nice data & pics)

Quote from: Ge_WhizDon't tell me - your real name is 'Fred Wyer', right?  :mrgreen:
Truth is stranger than fiction.. http://nbsl.mlbcenter.com/draft/capsule.php?draft_id=draft_2004&team_pick=sf

Fret Wire

Paul, Gez:  Nope, Fred Wire is my cousin, Live Wire is my Uncle. :mrgreen:

That's Robert's UK site, isn't it? No, I got them from a small place in MI. Just wondering if anyone has tried these yet.

My real name is Keyser Soze. :wink:
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

petemoore

Keyser Sose...ooouuhhh just the mention of that name gives me the creepies...woooo :D
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

gez

Quote from: Fret WirePaul, Gez

Hey, I'm not in this thread!...er, well I wasn't.
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

Fret Wire

Sorry Gez, I meant Ge_Whiz :).  Pete, that was a great movie, lol. Remember the ad line, "Who is Keyser Soze?"

Somewhere in here there was a question about TI Ge trannies. I guess no one has tried them. Well, in a  few days, I'll have an idea of their gain and leakage.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

Eric H

Quote from: Fret Wire
Somewhere in here there was a question about TI Ge trannies. I guess no one has tried them. Well, in a  few days, I'll have an idea of their gain and leakage.
OK, the "7350" is  the date code, 1973 50th week.
At the time they were built, no one made transistors better, AFAIK --of course (Steve Giles will probably beg to differ: "Mullard...sniff...").
 As I'm sure you've read, germanium transistors had wildly varying specs at best --being crudely made by today's standards, and since they weren't truely hermetically-sealed, will vary even more after 31 years. IOW --no way to tell what you have until you get them ;).
" I've had it with cheap cables..."
--DougH

Fret Wire

Thanks Eric. Judging by the fact that they are 2N404 eq., I'm figuring they might fall in the 50-90 hfe range, making them Q1 fuzz candidates. I was checking to see if anyone had already measured some, and could confirm. True, they do vary. It seems that many times, Ge's test out around 1/2 - 3/4 of their original hfe range.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

Eric H

Quote from: Fret WireThanks Eric. Judging by the fact that they are 2N404 eq., I'm figuring they might fall in the 50-90 hfe range, making them Q1 fuzz candidates. I was checking to see if anyone had already measured some, and could confirm. True, they do vary. It seems that many times, Ge's test out around 1/2 - 3/4 of their original hfe range.
I took a look around and it turns out I have about a dozen of these (they sounded familiar), 7345 date-code, that a kind friend sent me. He tested them for leakage and hfe, and a couple are 110 to 135 hfe. Haven't tried them yet. They are beautifully constructed.

-Eric
" I've had it with cheap cables..."
--DougH

Fret Wire

Thanks for checking Eric, much appreciated. Sounds promising. I'll post the results when they come in.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)