what does NP mean?

Started by lightningfingers, June 06, 2004, 01:36:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lightningfingers

I'm starting a TS-808 tomorrow.........I downloaded the file from Tonepad, and I'm in the process of getting all the parts,but there's something in the parts list that says !uF/NP. I assume its a cap but what does the "NP" stand for?
U N D E F I N E D

smoguzbenjamin

Non Polarized. Doesn't matter which way you stick it in, unlike normal electrolythic caps.
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

lightningfingers

ah.....it all makes sense now :wink:

i'm guessing they need to be electrolytics then?
U N D E F I N E D

Torchy

No, they are Non-Polarised. As you are also in the North of England, check the ESR website http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/esr/main.html and follow the link for the Capacitor section of the catalogue. I just ordered some 'boxed' polyester film 1uf NP for the Tremface & EA Trem projects at 58p each :)

Peter Snowberg

If you can't find a nice non-polarized cap and you need one, you can always make one by using two electrolytics of double the final size you want in series. If you need 10uF, use two 22uF in series with both of the + sides connected toether.

Always use film caps where you can. :D

Take care,
-Peter
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

ExpAnonColin

Quote from: Peter Snowberg
Always use film caps where you can. :D

An honest question, why exactly is that?

-Colin

Peter Snowberg

Film caps are very linear and they don't dry out over time. They also come in much better tolerance and have a much better temperature coefficient. The only downsides are the physical size and cost.

Take care,
-Peter
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

lightningfingers

Polyester and Mylar (greenie) caps are also good. I try to use film in the signal path, otherwise it won't have a big effect on the sound. The only ones to really avoid are ceramics (unless you're building a BMP).
U N D E F I N E D