OT: Saw "Drivin' & Cryin' Friday Night.......

Started by RDV, June 07, 2004, 12:34:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RDV

...in Birmingham AL @ Zydeco's(I'm on vacation). My ears are still ringing on Sunday, big time. What a cool band though as anyone in the Atlanta area should know. I haven't been to a show that I wasn't playing in since seeing the Who in 2000 at the Ice Palace in Tampa.

I was wondering, those of you who play all the time in clubs like I do: Do you play loud? Like at 150db? I don't think I've ever heard anyone play any louder than they were in my life. It was a small room(about 350 capacity) and they had enough P.A. to play a 2000 seater stuffed in there. It was incredibly loud. Here in Tampa, no one will put up with that.

Cool band though, they were a pretty big deal in 1991 before Nirvana came out. Their big hit was called "Fly Me Courageous".

Regards

RDV

bwanasonic

Quote from: RDV
I was wondering, those of you who play all the time in clubs like I do: Do you play loud? Like at 150db? I don't think I've ever heard anyone play any louder than they were in my life. It was a small room(about 350 capacity) and they had enough P.A. to play a 2000 seater stuffed in there. It was incredibly loud. Here in Tampa, no one will put up with that.

Cool band though, they were a pretty big deal in 1991 before Nirvana came out. Their big hit was called "Fly Me Courageous".

I do remember the hit, and as for playing clubs LOUD, thank God the general concept of not playing at PUNISHING volumes has caught on with the band I play with. If you have the airspace, fine, make use of it, but don't kid yourself on smaller gigs. Scale down the amplification and sound pressure levels and everybody will go home much happier.  OTH- I can see the appeal of a "This is how we sound, Deal with it" approach if you can get away with it.

Ansil

MANOWAR   160db   world record     thank you VH1 .. lol

Ed G.

I used to play some of their tunes in a cover band around that time. Cool band, easy tunes. We played 'fly me courageous' and 'i'm going straight to hell' if memory serves me right. Chicks liked those tunes.

RDV

'Straight to Hell' had em' all singing along. I guess once you've been huge and played arenas it's hard to not pretend you're not still there(even if you're not).

The only band I know personally who play that loud are "the Wholigans", a the Who tribute band, & they are truly frightening, bring earplugs....the good ones! They are great though, close your eyes & you're at "Live @ Leeds".

Regards

RDV

Ed G.

Something else I remember from the late 80's/early 90's era (pre-nirvana/grunge) was the Smithereens. They were kind of poppy, but had cool cranked guitar tones. No mind-blowing leads, just cool riffs.

Paul Marossy

I thought "Fly Me Courageous" was a cool song when it came out. I didn't know that they were still together. Anyhow, 150dB is way too loud.  :shock:

BDuguay

Back in the day, our band covered "Catch the Wind" by Drivin'N'Cryin. A decidedly country flavoured tune.

phillip

DN'C has been one of my favorite bands for years.  I've known Kevn Kinney (the lead singer/guitarist) for a short while now...probably one of the best human beings you could ever hope to meet.

Phillip

RDV

Quote from: phillipDN'C has been one of my favorite bands for years.  I've known Kevn Kinney (the lead singer/guitarist) for a short while now...probably one of the best human beings you could ever hope to meet.

Phillip
I remember diggin' em' back in the day. I met Kevin briefly, cause our friend who took us to the show has known him fer a while. His solo stuff is real alt-country-ish, but this was a D&C reunion of sorts I guess. It was guitar rock to the max. Sort of punkish rhythm guitars with some lead noodling from Kevin. We were up front 5 feet from Kevin. It wasn't their stage volume that was so loud, but the P.A.

RDV

MarkB

I saw them a few times back in college... cool guys, too..

<loud show stories>
1.  I mixed a show once that was so loud, I was knocking bottles off the shelves behind the bar

2.  I had the Greg Ginn band (former Black Flag guitarist) come into my club - they were SO loud, that I actually had to leave the room - even with earplugs in.. the stage volume was so loud that only the vocals were in the PA.. cranked.. and drowned out.
</loud show stories>
"-)