Peppermill vs. Blue Magic: a comparison

Started by Ge_Whiz, June 07, 2004, 03:51:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ge_Whiz

I've just completed a proper build of the "Peppermill" overdrive from ROG, as I needed something a bit lighter and cleaner than the Odie for guitar club gigs in order to beef up the Roland Cube amps we use there.

Considering the minor controversy at the time of the Peppermill's release, concerning the design similarities to the "Blue Magic", I have to say that I'm astounded that the two pedals can sound SO VERY different. The BM is a very smooth-sounding pedal with very consistent sounds and very tolerant of playing dynamics, whereas the PM behaves just like the description on the ROG website - VERY sensitive to playing dynamics and much grittier if you allow it to be, without swamping the sound. Both will find a place in my regular arsenal.

Playing the two side-by-side is a very good lesson in the subtleties of pedal design, even for a comparatively simple two-stage design like these. My hat off to all involved in both designs.

[Next project is an EA tremolo / Peppermill hybrid, with treble boost, for a one-box 'surf sound'. Watch this space.]

B Tremblay

Very interesting!  I've always been curious about how the circuits would compare.  Thank you for the report!
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com