Anyone Try This: Bass Preamp?

Started by Arn C., June 07, 2004, 12:41:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arn C.

Howdy!
    Just wondering if anyone has tried building this and how does it sound:

http://univ.uniyar.ac.ru/~geograph/schemes/prea/fendamp.gif

I was wondering if I could use this in the front end of the bass amp I am building from an older ss power amp.  I need something clean and easy and that works good.  

Thanks!
Arn C.

smoguzbenjamin

Looks like it should do the trick, Arn. It isn't that complicated, so I doubt much could go wrong. What I'd do is breadboard it, then flatten te EQ on my existing amp (be it guitar or bass) and see how it sounds. If it appeals, build it and stick it in front of your power amp :) Should do the job just fine.
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

Arn C.

Thanks a bunch!!!  Yeah, I just wanted something simple that will do the trick!

Peace!
Arn C.

smoguzbenjamin

Peter Snowberg

That looks well worth building and trying, but I would also add that you should check out multiple opamps in that circuit too. :D Be sure to audition an NE5532 in there for the clean end of things.

Take care,
-Peter
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

Arn C.

Sure will try that out!  Thanks Peter!
Peace!
Arn C.

Eric H

That circuit was ripped (no acknowledgement, of course) from Robin Tomtlund's  site :
http://hem.passagen.se/robin2/effects.htm

It was designed for mounting inside the bass, but no reason it couldn't be used as you plan. I would definitely raise the voltage-supply, 24v to 30v would add some headroom.

-Eric
" I've had it with cheap cables..."
--DougH

smoguzbenjamin

Watch you don't fry the OA by giving it too much juice though.

Arn C.

Thanks Gents!  I have an 18vdc supply I will use!
Thanks Again!
Arn C.

moosapotamus

How about a Burr-Brown opamp (i.e. OPA2134?)? I have yet to try any, myself. But, aren't they supposed to be higher performance (more headroom, less distortion) than the generic 5532, TL072 type opamps?

~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net
"I tend to like anything that I think sounds good."