News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

confused...

Started by MAXIMUS, June 07, 2004, 05:52:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MAXIMUS

i am a bit confused about the whole grounding issue.

a) i understand that all points with the "ground" symbol need to be connected, but isnt there something else that is supposed to be connected to ground, like the enclosure or something? can anyone explain this?

b) if you do connect the ground point to another piece of metal, what is the reason for this?

c)if i have metal jacks, pots, and switches, when they are mounted, do they need to be isolated from the metal enclosure in some way to prevent shorting to "ground"? or is the connection of the metal of the box to the metal of the jacks and other mounted parts, and therefore ground, a good and purposeful thing? (if you connect all ground points to something like the enclosure) If im way off, correct me (i might have the totally wrong idea)

d)if i need to isolate, how would i do that?

e)Are grounding and earthing different?

f)does the negative terminal of the battery need to be connected to ground if there is only a label on the schematic for "9v+"?

im doing the runoffgroove whisker biscuit build, and theres not a lot of explanation, (not complaining! wonderful site tremblay) probably because all of this is common knowledge.

thanks a ton,
max

Dutchie

a) i understand that all points with the "ground" symbol need to be connected, but isnt there something else that is supposed to be connected to ground, like the enclosure or something? can anyone explain this?

all the grounds in the end are connected. the sleeve of your jack is "ground", so in a pedal chain all ground's are on the same voltage level, we call it 0 volts. its a refferance voltage

connecting ground to the enclosure is good for shielding ( noise reduction ) but not necesery for the ciruit to work  

b) if you do connect the ground point to another piece of metal, what is the reason for this?

in a signal chain all grounds are tied together, for instance: the ground of your wha pedal uses the same ground as the following distortion down to the amp your using.

c)if i have metal jacks, pots, and switches, when they are mounted, do they need to be isolated from the metal enclosure in some way to prevent shorting to "ground"? or is the connection of the metal of the box to the metal of the jacks and other mounted parts, and therefore ground, a good and purposeful thing? (if you connect all ground points to something like the enclosure) If im way off, correct me (i might have the totally wrong idea)

metal jack ground usualy make the enclosure ground too
as for other components like pots, their metal body isnt in contact with the 3 lugs, so no isolation needed. same go's for switches

d)if i need to isolate, how would i do that?

e)Are grounding and earthing different?

yes...earthing really goes to the earth and has to do with safety, grounding not.

f)does the negative terminal of the battery need to be connected to ground if there is only a label on the schematic for "9v+"?

Yeps..that is the "0" again.

i hope i helped a bit

Greetz
[/b]

MAXIMUS

absolutely enlightening