Slightly OT Who uses a Compressor ?

Started by tman, June 08, 2004, 01:45:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tman

can you make a dynacomp into a ross compressor ?

phillip

Yep, the Dynacomp is similar to the Ross.  The Ross has several more electro. caps and a couple of extra resistors, and tends to cut treble quite a bit, while the Dynacomp retains the treble.

Check out the Tonepad Ross Compressor or Dynacomp layouts for info about the differences.  You can take the Ross Compressor PCB from there and build either one on the same board.

Phillip

Mark Hammer

There are a number of commercial compressor pedals that use an OTA (operational transconductance amplifier) as a VCA (voltage-controlled amplifier, though truthfully it is current that does the actual driving).  It is a property of  many, though not all, budget OTAs that they have limited signal-handling ability, clipping at relatively low sgnal levels.

Because you can't drive them very hard, there are some issues with respect to not only minimizing distortion but maintaining a reasonable S/N ratio.

As a result, although they can make design and production easy and cheap, you will find many designs that are very similar and address the  S/N and distortion issues in different ways.  Many Ross products tended to be almost exact clones of MXR ones, for reasons I don't understand, but they often had small changes to improve the product.  Little afterthoughts, if you will.  The Ross compressor IS, for all intents and purposes, a slightly improved Dynacomp.  The Boss CS-2 is an even more improved Dynacomp, with a different OTA chip and the other circuit changes accompanying use of that particular chip.  The same is largely true of the Pearl compressor and the Nobels compressor.

petemoore

That's what in and what's called out for the Ross.
 Is there another chip with different or improved performance that is a direct replacement for the CA3080...
 I really like the Ross's sound, ,,,just wondering out loud.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

phillip

Quote from: petemooreThat's what in and what's called out for the Ross.
 Is there another chip with different or improved performance that is a direct replacement for the CA3080...
 I really like the Ross's sound, ,,,just wondering out loud.

Pete, check this out:

http://diystompboxes.com/sboxforum/viewtopic.php?t=21796

Phillip