Need a cheap shortcut?

Started by Ge_Whiz, June 08, 2004, 12:47:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ge_Whiz

On further investigation, it seems that the SG2 unit could be a reverb spring driver, not a stand-alone DSP. But check out

http://www.lextronic.fr/Hybrides/Telecontrolli/Autres/tremolo.htm
for data on the vibrato/trem module.

petemoore

Diagrams...I could make out a very simple looking schematic there.
 I didn't follow any of the text though, I don't know the language.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Ahhh.. you don't need a foreign language to read that. It's italian.

petemoore

Today, it's English...
 WOW Sanyo is putting out the deals eh?
 100w hi fi amp looked kinda EZ cool.
  what's the exchange rate for lira? to dollars?
 Is there a way to check my long spring reverb's drivers...the little transformer looking items at either end of the spring?...uh, they got driven a couple of times, and may be damaged...
 A couple of those and one of those boards for reverb driver might be interesting..I've been 'without reverb since the Legend 30w amp died and we couldn't seem to get it fixed.
 Alot of interesting new [to me at least[ items on that site.

Kilby

It's Euros these days :(

Very approx rule of thumb 1 Euro = 1 Dollar (US)

Hey just a thought install more than one, thereby heading for that intro from the Smiths song (which some band ruined for that silly series charmed).

Rob...

petemoore

At that price, someone with a separate env detector could send a source into one of these trem units, and send the result into the detector input?
 These are PDinexpensive, just to use or try hacking into something else would be nominal expense.
 ~6 'monetary units' tremolo...good price.

brrt

Well Paul, I would go for french. Not only because the top level domain is ".fr", but also because I know a little bit french. It says:

General Description
Module "SG1" realizes the "Tremolo / vibrato" sound effect for musical instruments (guitar/bass) and for "vocal" audio equipment. The hybrid intergrates a low frequency oscillator (2-9 Hz), a tremolo modulator and a vibrato driver.

Peter Snowberg

A little URL modification gets you:

Guitar Preamp

Reverb Driver

Tremolo

Note the swapped photos on the last two.
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

ErikMiller

These modules are thick film hybrids. I learned layout doing this kind of circuit, then switched to PCB's. This variety uses SMD technology; before SMD's came along, most hybrids were made by sticking the raw die down on the substrate and tacking gold wires from the traces to the pads on the die.

The resistors and conductors are silkscreened directly on the substrate, and the resistor values can be trimmed with lasers. One thing that's pretty cool is active trimming, where you laser trim the resistor(s) in a circuit that has all the other components mounted, and is powered up.

Let's say you had a Fuzz Face circuit on a hybrid, you could trim the resistors for 4.5V on Q2 collector.

Of course, you have to print the resistors low and trim up to value, that is to say that you can only make the resistance higher with laser trimming, kind of like a trimpot that only goes up in value.

I was making these things around the time I was doing my first Craig Anderton projects, and used to play with the idea of using the technology for musical purposes. Never thought I'd see it 20 years later!

This stuff is how I learned to make TIGHT layouts. The Crucible Fuzz PCB is 1" square. The habits I learned in hybrids make for happy analog audio circuits 'cause my trace runs are all as short as possible.