MAX206-Too good to be true?

Started by ExpAnonColin, June 08, 2004, 07:20:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ExpAnonColin

I got some of these from Ansil recently, and they were intriguing... I always like large bipolar supplies, as you all know.  So, I wired one up, with nonpolar (it said that you could used nonpolarized or polarized .1uf caps on the datasheet) and about 4.87V as my 5V input.  Wired just like the example circuit on the datasheet, but I'm not getting anything out of any of the pins save like 2.5V off of a few, namely the EN pin.

I'm not completely sure what these are supposed to do,  except that "On-board charge pumps convert the +5V input to the +/-10V needed for RS323 leves".

I tried inputting 5V into one of the TTL/CMOS inputs, figuring that perhaps it needed a reference point for each of the RS-323 outputs... but no dice.  Anyone able to enlighten me a bit on these things?

Could it be that I need them to be polarized?  Do the exact V ratings of the capacitors matter (on the datasheet, they are labled as6.3V, 15V, and 16V... they don't normally label those caps right on the example circuit). Is there anything else I should be doing save just the connections in the MAX206 typical operation circuit?

The datasheet... http://pdfserv.maxim-ic.com/en/ds/MAX200-MAX213.pdf

Thanks guys.

-Colin

niftydog

Tie SHDN pin to 5V, this is a shutdown pin.

Is your 5V input referenced to the same ground as the chip itself?  The inputs are tied high with a resistor, so hook up a switch to ground so you can toggle 5V to 0V and vice versa. Perhaps you'll see something happening if you can simulate a TTL signal.

Tie the EN pin to ground, that's an enable pin. (seems unrelated to the charge pumps, but worth a try)

It suggests the use of ceramic caps, perhaps the electros are upseting it?
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

taking a quick look at the data sheet, doesn't look like you get much current out of those suckers. Not enough for anything I build, certainly  :D

ExpAnonColin

Quote from: niftydogTie SHDN pin to 5V, this is a shutdown pin.

Is your 5V input referenced to the same ground as the chip itself?  The inputs are tied high with a resistor, so hook up a switch to ground so you can toggle 5V to 0V and vice versa. Perhaps you'll see something happening if you can simulate a TTL signal.

Tie the EN pin to ground, that's an enable pin. (seems unrelated to the charge pumps, but worth a try)

It suggests the use of ceramic caps, perhaps the electros are upseting it?

I'm using ceramics as it is.

Shutdown pin to 5v...  EN pin to ground...  Nothing.  TTL signal at the front...  Nothing.  Shoot.  Thanks for the suggestions though.

-Colin

niftydog

do you have load resistors on the outputs?  Try 5kohm.

Not having used one nor having access to one that's all I can think of!
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)

ExpAnonColin

No dice... thanks though man.

-Colin