OT How many of you guys could defuse a bomb?

Started by MattAnonymous, June 08, 2004, 10:27:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MattAnonymous

Not to sound psycho, but I've seen so many shows and movies where a bomb is defused.  It appears to me that someone with a decent amount of knowledge of electronics could easily cut the power.  Just wondering.
It's people like us who contribute to dead fx pedals selling on eBay for what they'd cost new!

phillip

Sure...just cut the red wire...and hope the bomb builder wasn't color blind ;)

Phillip

petemoore

eenie, meenie, miney, Moe's.
 Wait a minute, Moe's not here...when'll they ever institute a common color coding for these devices...sheeezz, who engineered THIS Thing , anyway/What's YOUR favorite color?
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Kilby

Personally I would use the real world solution of "disruption".
Either a small explosion (close to the device) or a shotgun blast where the preferred method until about 10 years ago.

Nowadays they tend to use a very high pressure water jet to try and shatter the suspected bomb.

Of course I would also be using one of those fancy dandy robots (called wheelbarrows by the guys who use them) as I am also too smart to get close to one of those things intentionally. Though I have been too close for my liking on more than one occasion (through accident not design) :(

Rob...

Peter Snowberg

As long as you could see a cap with two wires coming out it would be pretty easy to do, but I would tend to run in the opposite direction without touching it unless I had to diffuse it to escape.  

Take care,
-Peter
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

Fret Wire

First, read debugging FAQ at GEO.....no..that's not it....

Got it!  Send in Boy George and Michael Jackson, with hard hats and Radio Shack wire cutters :twisted:

KA-BOOOOM!!!! :shock:
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

I've got news for anyone getting their bomb defusing knowledge from movies.. there isn't usually a big LED clock showing the countdown  :D

petemoore

If you want something blown up, you blow it up :evil:  What's use would a long timer that could be disabled be?
 Only good use is for a silly suspense angle in movies and TV exploits.

Brian Marshall

Quote from: petemooreIf you want something blown up, you blow it up :evil:  What's use would a long timer that could be disabled be?
 Only good use is for a silly suspense angle in movies and TV exploits.

ive made lots of bombs....

sometimes i wonder why im still alive.

It is funny to go to the hardware store, and buy three 4 inch threaded pipes, 6 endcaps, a block of parafin wax, and a drill bit.  Damn these days they would shoot you on the spot.

we stole gun powder from my dad who at one point was in to reloading ammo, but had long forgotten it.  the thing that was really scarry was the gun powder was a few years old, and in theory could have been a little unstable.

we got 50 feet of cannon fuse from the army surplus store, and actually told the guy what we were using it for the next time we saw him.

He laughed.

those bombs were easy to difuse..... pull the fuse :D

now if it were an electronic bomb, maybe.... could i get a scheamtic???????  Please?????

ahhhhhhhh (BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM)

aron

Everyone knows the answer to this one. You see it in the movies.

There's a red and blue (or other color), choose the red, no, the blue, yes the red and SWEAT!!!!

Then cut the red. :roll:

crawler486

Aron's Stompbox Forum is now being marked by the feds.

Hal

quick!  We need a bucket brigade to put out the fire!  e-mail steve stat!

Oh-no!  Out of them?

AAAHHHHHH!!

Bill Bergman

Fret Wire

Pray that Mike Fuller didn't build it.....because then, all the circuitry would be covered in goop so no one could clone the bomb. News flash...epoxy shrapnel rained down over a 30 mile radius as police detonated the Fullbomb 90'.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

Torchy

Dear Mike

Please supply me with the schematic to your FullBomb 90, as my dog has poured his beer thru the input jack. The beer has not only removed the pcb traces but also removed the component values, so the scematic should contain these. Whilst trying to defuse (damn) rebuild the FullBomb I also need advice on tube bisassing, type of caps and gain matching to erm return it to its original condition.

Yours
     The Bomb Squad

Fret Wire

Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

davebungo

petemoore

Bycycle tubing, gunpowder from disassembled firecrackers, a big first fuse, with a cigarette fuse/timer.
 I consider myself to have extreme luck, as I'm able to type this with my fingers.

Rich G.

Since this is OT, I'll add to the chaos with a true story from my home town last week... keep in mind I live in the town where the pizza delivery bomber struck last year.

A suspicious black bag was found near the town reservior where a man had been lurking.  Police were called in, then Hazmat and the Bomb Squad.  The area was secured and traffic diverted.  The Bomb Squad in full protective gear moves in.  They investigate the bag.  In the bag was the underwear of some guy who had crapped his pants and was trying to hide them.  His keys were also in the bag by mistake.  They apprehended the perp and arrested him for tresspassing.

Fret Wire

Now that would be some nasty shrapnel :cry:  :cry:
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)