News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Speakers

Started by zener, June 08, 2004, 11:17:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zener

I just came from a junkyard and I was able to scavenge two 6" 15w and a 1w 3" 16ohm speakers. The latter came from a portable TV/radio. I was surprised that other appliances there were already mutilated. Someone else has gotten in that place before me.

Anyway, in general, I know nothing about speakers. The 3" speaker I got has in its back a small magnet enclosed in a metal  3/4" in diameter and half inch tall. The usual speakers I know have its magnets protruding outside, so it attracts metal. This one doesn't because the magnet is enclosed. My dad said that feature in speakers indicates quality in output.

I'm planning to build a pocket Little Gem out of this 3" speaker. What do you think?

Will someone refute or elaborate on what my has said.

Thanks for any help.
Oh yeah!

brett

Mid-range speakers often come with an enclosure around the back so they don't pump in sympathy with any big speakers that are nearby.

I'm no expert, but it's probably not an indication of quality.

have fun
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

Lonestarjohnny

Zener, I think your dad is for the most part correct, My jensen's with the Bell cover's on them cost more than the one's without, high dollar JBL's always had the magnet's covered, oxford's that came with bell cover's more Expensive, Weber's, same thing, so from that point of view, most of the time if you pay more, you get more.
There are exception's to everything though.
JD

Boofhead

I can't quite make out enough detail from your comments to say precisely but: if  only the magnet is covered it could be a "magnetically shielded" driver.  These are common in modernish TV sets since the magnetic shielding prevents the speakers affecting the tube - the degree of magnetic shielding can vary quite a lot.  Nothing can said about the quality of the speaker.  Hifi type speakers don't sound good for guitar, the poor quality ones probably sound better!

If on the other hand the cone of the speaker is not visible at all from the rear, ie. there is an integral enclosure on the back *over the back of the cone*, then it's likely to be a midrange driver.   Midrange drivers are what you see in hifi systems, they are designed to operate with a tweeter and woofer and require a crossover.  The crossover distributes the appropriate frequencies to each speaker.  A midrange probably wouldn't be such a great thing for guitar - although some can be used.

ejbasses

Hey man!!!

those speakers are similar to what you find inside cheap computer "saoundblasters". those metal covers are used as magnetic shields (did that sound right). they prevent magnetic forces from attracting objects or emmittng forces that might harm sensitive electronics i.e computers monitors. and storage devices
Four Strings To Rule Them All And In The Darkness Bind Them