volume pedal question

Started by rogerinIowa, June 09, 2004, 07:44:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogerinIowa

Hey-

It's my first post here, but I have been lurking ( read "learning") for some time now. I am interested in building a volume pedal (using the empty housing of a dead crybaby).  I cannot find a schematic for a volume pedal, which leads me to believe that the circuit may only be the "in"and "out" jacks and a potentiometer. Does anyone have a schematic, or guidance on what is required for a volume pedal circuit? I dont need fancy features, but would love to be able to preset the minimum volume. It will be used for fake pedal steel bends mostly ( Alt country guitarist)

thanks in advance,

Roger in Iowa
friends dont let friends use stock pedals.

RDV

Well, you'd wire it up like a pedal without the guts or switch.

Input to pin 3
Output to pin 2
Grounds to pin 1

RDV

freebird1127

Evan Haklar
What's the difference between incompetence and indifference?  I don't know and I don't care!

freebird1127

Hey,

RDV has it dead on, where pin 2 is the wiper.

It's super easy to preset a minimum volume level using a potentiometer and a resistor.  simply put a resistor between pin "1" and ground.  For the sake of an example, if the value of the pot is 90Kohms, and the value of the resistor is 10Kohms, the total resistance from input to ground is 100Kohms.  The lowest the pot can go is pin 2 (the wiper) shorted to pin 1 (this is it's lowest setting), and the 10Kohms in the chain cannot be removed, therefore the output volume can never go lower than 10% maximum volume.  

As another example, if you have a 50K pot and a 50K resistor, you'll never be able to go lower than 1/2 volume.  Get it?  

Good luck
Evan Haklar
What's the difference between incompetence and indifference?  I don't know and I don't care!

spar

RDV and freebird1127 should have gotten you there - not much to a volume pedal. If you do want a schematic, there's a DeArmond here:

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/v2/diagrams/dearm_vol.gif

I just built a simple little volume control stomp box. I just needed two volume levels so I used a DPDT switch to switch between bypass and the volume pot.

petemoore

Tha'ts a good trick for a volume setter. I like that on volume control sometimes. Bypass Vol Via switch.
 Turns it into a Vol/preset boost [actually cut] pedal.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

spar

Quote from: petemooreTha'ts a good trick for a volume setter. I like that on volume control sometimes. Bypass Vol Via switch.
 Turns it into a Vol/preset boost [actually cut] pedal.

I built and tried an LP2, but all I really needed was two volume levels, not a booster. I used to use a volume pedal, but since I never used the pedal for volume swells, the switch does exactly what I want...